This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create two Database connection for NPM

Hi guys

I install two solarwinds NPM on two separate servers. each of which has own database (SQL 2012). I want install solarwinds on one server and also create one central database for solarwinds on the same server as solarwinds NPM. What is your suggestion to perform this task? I think that if i move two databases on new sql server and create two different connection to moved databases then i can perform this task. Is it possible that SolarWinds NPM works with two databases simultaneously? if it is possible what's your plan?

Thank you

• The services can only connect through ODBC to one database, and I believe this is only configured through the configuration wizard...I do not know of a way to add a second connection

• First of all you should not be putting npm and sql on the same server.

The application will not let you connect to two databases at the same time.  It is a pretty major hassle to try and merge two databases so I traditionally pick one of them to keep and one to to delete, copy over any custom properties/alerts/nodes/dashboards/reports from to be deleted system.

You can have your whole system back up and running in a couple hours that way.  Trying to merge the content of the two databases without losing data would usually take several days and require you to have someone on hand who is a master of the SW database and SQL.

• we have not any word to describe my crazy manager except than َOLAGH.