This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AppInsight for IIS Monitoring via Agent

Hello,

My SAM install is located on the LAN, the server i would like to monitor IIS on sits in my DMZ with an agent installed which talks back to an additional poller which also sits in the DMZ which then feeds back to the main SAM install

Bit of a mouthful i know.

However, it cant even get through the credential check which i know is WMI/RPC but.. i was under the impression that the Agent would do that work from inside the server and not my poller try and access the server via the WMI/RPC ports

Because whats the point in having an agent?

Can anybody shed some light on my problem

Kind Regards,

L.

• aLTeReGo

Can you cast your expert knowledge of SAM onto my issue/query?

emoticons_grin.png

• Does AppInsight for IIS appear when you perform a List Resources on the node? Is it selected? If so, when you attempt to access the AppInsight for IIS details view from the All Applications resource, are you prompted to configure the server? When you click "Configure Server" does it return an error?

• AppInsight for IIS does appear when i do a list resource, i can add it in from there but when i click configure i get the below?

Does the Inherit credential use the agent as its account so to speak? But even if i specify an admin account that is created on that server it still fails.

pastedImage_0.png

• 2017-04-25 16:07:44,528 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #14] [A(null)] [C(null)] ERROR SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper - Error while connecting to "172.29.2.12" via WMI.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper.DoActionWithRetry(Action action, Int32 retries, TimeSpan retryInterval, String logMessage)

at SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper.ConnectWithRetry(String targetComputer, String userName, ManagementScopeContext[] scopes)

2017-04-25 16:07:44,528 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #14] [A(null)] [C(null)] WARN  SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper - Connection Attempt to 172.29.2.12 as SOLARWINDSSAC Failed. Attempt 1 of 3

2017-04-25 16:07:54,543 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #14] [A(null)] [C(null)] WARN  SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper - Connection Attempt to 172.29.2.12 as SOLARWINDSSAC Failed. Attempt 2 of 3

2017-04-25 16:08:04,559 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #14] [A(null)] [C(null)] WARN  SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper - Connection Attempt to 172.29.2.12 as SOLARWINDSSAC Failed. Attempt 3 of 3

2017-04-25 16:08:04,559 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #14] [A(null)] [C(null)] ERROR SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper - Error while connecting to "172.29.2.12" via WMI.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706BA): The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)

at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)

at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()

at SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper.DoActionWithRetry(Action action, Int32 retries, TimeSpan retryInterval, String logMessage)

at SolarWinds.APM.Probes.WMI.WMIHelper.ConnectWithRetry(String targetComputer, String userName, ManagementScopeContext[] scopes)

2017-04-25 16:08:15,418 [STP SmartThreadPool Thread #16] [A(null)] [C(null)] WARN  SolarWinds.APM.Probes.ApplicationJobBase - JobEngineWorker running for '00:20:07.4715138' - requesting worker process termination.

2017-04-25 16:08:17,575 [JobMonitor] [A(null)] [C(null)] WARN  SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.WorkerExecutionEngine - Job timeouted, cancelling job ExecutingID=fae53659-c2ae-41c2-bd29-4b3a2735aa4c,State=Running,ScheduledJobID=6e681109-ff05-4b59-a574-742ba337aacd

This is what im seeing in the APM Probe log file but im confused to why its throwing WMI and RPC exceptions? I would of thought that the agent would do all the work locally on the server and then feedback the information via the 17777 and the 17778 ports? else what would be the point of an agent?

• The agent in indeed performing the job locally, but it must connect to WMI somehow to collect information. Can you attempt the same task on the machine where the agent is running using wbemtest.exe and connecting to the machine's IP address reference above?

• I am able to connect to the root WMI class locally on the server in question using the credentials that im trying to specify when setting up the AppInsight for IIS monitoring. Wbemtest.exe is launched on the server i want to setup IIS monitoring for and im connecting to itself using the IP address and that works fine.

• Without knowing more information it's difficult to provide definitive diagnosis. I would recommend opening a case with support and provide diagnostics from the agent so we can determine the cause of the issue.

• aLTeReGo

Just logged Case # 1159853 for the issues im having, thanks for your assistance regardless emoticons_happy.png