This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Question: Can I monitor Packet Loss via SolarWinds?

Hi everyone,

I really need your help with this.

I want to monitor the packet loss in my network, and we're doing so through Kibana, integrated with SW via Orion web interface.

We had to shut down Kibana and now we either install the latest version and integrate it with SW again, or use SW alone.

The question is: can I monitor Packet Loss via SW the same way Kibana does? (each link separately, provides historical data as well),

as you can see in the image below:

photo_2017-03-21_20-16-22.jpg

1- Can I get something similar to this graph for PL using SW alone? (live monitoring + historical data)

If not, what's the closest thing I can get to measure PL via SW?

2- Also, is there a documentation reference as to how I can add a link to Kibana inside SW?

Thank you guys,

Safa

• You can use a custom chart for Multiple Objects then preview it to edit the chart elements.

2017-03-30_09h50_58.jpg

Select Percent Loss and then go into Select Object to pick the Nodes at the far end of the Link you want to watch packet loss on.

2017-03-30_09h51_24.jpg

2017-03-30_09h51_43.jpg

You end up with a graph that looks like this:

2017-03-30_09h53_40.jpg

I just changed it to Response Time so you can see the results a bit better.

2017-03-30_10h01_24.jpg

Our polling cycle is every five minutes, on links you deem critical you could up the polling of the far devices to every minute and capture more fidelity.

• As to question 2, how do you want to use the link? Do you want to simply click on an HREF element and have it open up Kibana? Or do you want to display a particular chart from Kibana inside a SolarWinds View?

1. If you want to Just provide a link on a SW Menu then you go to the Setting | All Settings | External Websites and add the information. The URL would look like this to take you there: http://<yourorion.site.com>/Orion/Admin/ExternalWebsites.aspx
    2. The other way is to add a Custom HTML Object in the view in which you want the element to appear. For example you could add the Thwack Logo to a web part like this:

2017-03-30_10h21_46.jpg

Which results in the view displaying this:

2017-03-30_10h21_33.jpg

At that point it is just a matter of how complex you want to make the URI inside the HTML you build.