This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Running DPA with SQL Express?

I see in the documentation that SolarWinds claims they will not support running DPA on SQL Express; however, if I am only monitoring one database instance is there any reason why SQL Express wouldn't be adequate for this?

• We expect DPA to work with SQL Express as a repo, but given a number of its limitations, especially in DB size, you would have to adjust DPA to save less data, which kinda defeats the purpose of DPA.

If you need a free DB, why not use MySQL?

• We have much more in-house expertise on SQL Server than we do MySQL.

Just to make sure I understand, with the out-of-the-box settings DPA will try and store more data than SQL Express is capable of handling even when only monitoring one SQL instance?

• Mileage varies with storage consumption, but I have my personal configuration using SQL Express and monitoring 1 Oracle and 1 SQL Server instance. Haven't run out of space yet, but my instances are not running much activity (I forget to startup hammerdb sometimes). 8 )

Thus the mileage may vary.

My recommendation is to run it and really focus on storage consumption around day 15 as that *should* represent about 50% of your total storage needs as a rule of thumb. Adjust as needed. When reducing retention, detail data accounts for about 90% of the storage consumption, so hourly and daily retention retention really aren't big levers.

• mandevil​ thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it!