This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Full Upgrade to latest - Questions

Hello Community!

Hi.  Fairly new Solarwinds customer here.  After a couple of months of testing in development, we now have a full production environment setup, and teams are slowing adding all components for monitoring.

I've noticed that almost a couple of weeks ago, newer updates were released for the new PerfStack.  It looks great!  I am entitled for these updates and would like to go about a full upgrade.  I'm just looking for some insight, and step-by-step etc. as to go about it.  It tooks quite awhile to get our production environment setup - we did run into several issues that support has helped me fix, and it's all up and running, so where I'm a fairly new customer, I'm a little reluctant to perform a huge upgrade without first getting some insight, for you all, and your experiences etc.

Here is my current setup, along with versions:

Main Orion Server: (1)

Orion Platform
Version

Network Configuration Manager
Version7.5.1
Server & Application Monitor
Version6.3.0
Network Performance Monitor
Version12.0.1
Virtual Infrastructure Monitor
Version7.0.0
Storage Resource Monitor
Version6.3.0
NetFlow Traffic Analyzer
Version4.2.1
NetPath
Version

Additional Poller:(1)

Orion Platform
Version2016.2.100

Additional Web Server: (1)

(Same as Main Orion Server)

Database Details:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2-CU3) Standard Edition.

So as of prior to the updates released on March 17th, we currently had the latest versions of the modules.

I have read the "Upgrade Multiple SolarWinds Products" guide, and also ran through the SolarWinds Product Upgrade Advisor (which stated no problems, and provided a step-by-step of which modules to upgrade first).

Has anyone upgraded from the the module versions I have, to the newest/latest?  Any issues?

Also, if you guys/gals were performing these upgrades, what would be your course of action?

Thanks,

Jason

• I install and upgrade Orion for a living. Chances are following what is listed in the Product Upgrade Adviser that you mentioned looking up will work just fine. This is especially true because you appear to be running all the "N-1" versions of SW's products, which means you also have the new style of Scalability Engines for the AWS and APE. You should be fine to upgrade.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• Thank you Nathan for your response!

I do however have two other questions in regards to the upgrade.  When I ran the Product Upgrade Adviser, and input my products, and versions, there is no option there for Virtualization Manager.  There is an upgrade for it as well.  So because there is no option there, does that mean I can install that upgrade, upgrade or redeploy the virtual appliance at the end of the order the Upgrade Adviser states?

Does license(s) have anything to do with the upgrades?  I.e. will I need to re-license the upgraded modules?  Apply for new licenses keys?

Thanks again,

Jason

• From what I know, once you've upgraded the rest of SolarWinds, you can upgrade VMAN as its own thing with the iso file it comes with. You may need to re-run the virtualization integration wizard again but it should be fine. No licenses should need to be put in again.

Nathan Hejnicki

Loop1 Systems

• Perfect, thanks for your response, and help nathan.hejnicki

• I've noticed when I've gone to the next version, that it 'stops' you from installing other products before the one it wants or advises for you to install.

So you shouldn't be able to get them in the wrong order.

The additional poller, there is a bundle you can use to upgrade to the next version which have worked for me.