1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 22, 2017 12:55 PM by jm_sysadmin

How do you monitor SaaS vendors?

RichardLetts

We have provide a number of software products to customers and users here. The software products may be provided by a cloud vendor (e.g. Amazon or Azure), or by a private cloud run by the vendor.

i.e. the relationship is:

Student <-> Department <-> Central IT <-> Saas Vendor <-> Amazon Web Services

so, when a student calls in to Central IT (my department) reporting a problem with software someone (maybe us) provides to the department from a SaaaS vendor how might we know where the issue is.

Unlike a lot of AWS monitoring tools (say) the application isn't deployed by us, so we have no visibility into vendor's cloud solution.

thinking of the future.... How do you monitor this?

• Re: How do you monitor SaaS vendors?
          jm_sysadmin

Today I like netpath best as most of these are basic web applications. I have a few stragglers that run more traditional applications, there I do whatever I can. Are the ports open? Do they reply correctly (I can check a few for specific text replies), can I access any API that should be there? There is no single answer, but the more important it is, the more I am willing to watch the traffic and figure something out to build a monitor.