This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Connect Type for Tableau

Hi - I am looking to start using Tableau to build dashboards.  Can you let me know how you setup the Data Connection?  I tried MySQL with our orionmonitor web location as the server but no luck.  Thanks!

• Greetings, mformica!
    The type of Tableau connection depends on the database that you're using for Web Help Desk.

For example, we are running MS SQL Server...so I chose Microsoft SQL Server in the "To a Server" connection type.

hw6hqbH.png

I hope this helps!

Very Respectfully,

Eric Lee

• Thanks!  I realized I had to connect to the Orion DB which is MS SQL.  Now I need to figure out this table structure.  Any clues on popular tables to start with!

• mformica,

Glad you got it! I find SQL to be more robust, so I go the Custom SQL Query route to specifically define the requirements of the report.

That being said, some of the bread and butter tables will still be:

• JOB_TICKET
    • STATUS_TYPE
    • TECH
    • CLIENT
    • PROBLEM_TYPE

If you use a lot of custom fields, you'll also find TICKET_CUSTOM_FIELD invaluable!
    Good luck!