7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2017 11:55 AM by nick_scott

Assign Custom Properties

nick_scott

I would like to assign custom properties to the nodes found via query.  As an example I would like to assign all devices in the 10.22.0.0/16 range the custom property Environment "QA".  The custom properties are already in place.  The script returns the Uri's I am after.  I do not know how to assign the new custom properties however.  

$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'

#Add the snapin
      Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

#create a connection to solarwinds

$hostname = 'xx'
      $username = 'xx'
      $password = 'XX'

#swis = Connect-Swis -Hostanme $hostname -Trusted

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

$query = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.22.%'"

$query

swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=151
      swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=116
      swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=146

• Re: Assign Custom Properties
          HerrDoktor

The Verb you are looking for is Set-SwisObject

It might look like this then

foreach($Entry in $query){
              ## Create CustomPropertiesURI ##
              $CustomPropsUri = $entry+'/CustomProperties';

##Set CustomPropertyBag
              $CustomPropstoUpdate = @{
                                      Environment = "QA";
                                  }

## Update the Custom Properties
              Set-SwisObject $swis $CustomPropsUri -Properties $CustomPropstoUpdate

}

Cheers,

Holger

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              tdanner

You can also do this as a bulk operation. For larger numbers of objects it is much faster. Like this:

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

$CustomPropstoUpdate = @{  Environment = "QA";  }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT Nodes.CustomProperties.Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.22.%'"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis -Properties $CustomPropstoUpdate

(Edit 2017-03-20: Added the "-Properties" switch that I forgot the first time around.)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  nick_scott

You are the man tdanner !  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!!

I would be editing hundreds if not thousands of records.

HerrDoktor

Thanks for the Input. I might need to rewrite some of my scripts ...

nick_scott

My script pulls the various Uri's I am after, however  the script it stopping, and asking for a Properties value

$CustomPropertyUpdate =@{ Environment = "QA"; }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.1.%"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis $CustomPropertyUpdate

#Error Below

PS C:\Users\XXX> C:\Users\XXX.XXX\Documents\PowerShell Scripts\Do not Modify\Assign Enviorment Custom Property QA.ps1

cmdlet Set-SwisObject at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Properties:

I put the value 'QA' (wild guess) and it errored out.  Any help would be appreciated.

tdanner

That's my fault - I left out the switch name in the Set-SwisObject line. Here's a fixed version:

$CustomPropertyUpdate =@{ Environment = "QA"; }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.1.%"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis -Properties $CustomPropertyUpdate

(I am going to edit my post above to save future readers from the error.)

nick_scott

Thank you tdanner!  That did the trick.  Being somewhat new to scripting, I am finding that its quite easy to replicate repetitive tasks (especially when using the "bulk" format tdanner advised in this post).  I do have a decent understanding of the DB schema however.  Just thought I would mention that considering most of you helping have XX years of programming experience.

Going forward anytime something new comes across my desk, I am asking myself.  "Can I do this via the API ?"

Thanks again for the help, I am really enjoying this!