This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Assign Custom Properties

I would like to assign custom properties to the nodes found via query.  As an example I would like to assign all devices in the 10.22.0.0/16 range the custom property Environment "QA".  The custom properties are already in place.  The script returns the Uri's I am after.  I do not know how to assign the new custom properties however.  

$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'

#Add the snapin
Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

#create a connection to solarwinds

$hostname = 'xx'
$username = 'xx'
$password = 'XX'

#swis = Connect-Swis -Hostanme $hostname -Trusted

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

$query = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.22.%'"

$query

swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=151
swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=116
swis://XX.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=146

• The Verb you are looking for is Set-SwisObject

It might look like this then

foreach($Entry in $query){

## Create CustomPropertiesURI ##

$CustomPropsUri = $entry+'/CustomProperties';

##Set CustomPropertyBag

$CustomPropstoUpdate = @{

Environment = "QA";

}

## Update the Custom Properties

Set-SwisObject $swis $CustomPropsUri -Properties $CustomPropstoUpdate

}

Cheers,

Holger

• You can also do this as a bulk operation. For larger numbers of objects it is much faster. Like this:

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

$CustomPropstoUpdate = @{  Environment = "QA";  }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT Nodes.CustomProperties.Uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.22.%'"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis -Properties $CustomPropstoUpdate

(Edit 2017-03-20: Added the "-Properties" switch that I forgot the first time around.)

• You are the man tdanner !  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!!

I would be editing hundreds if not thousands of records.

• Thanks for the Input. I might need to rewrite some of my scripts emoticons_happy.png ...

• My script pulls the various Uri's I am after, however  the script it stopping, and asking for a Properties value

$CustomPropertyUpdate =@{ Environment = "QA"; }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.1.%"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis $CustomPropertyUpdate

#Error Below

PS C:\Users\XXX> C:\Users\XXX.XXX\Documents\PowerShell Scripts\Do not Modify\Assign Enviorment Custom Property QA.ps1

cmdlet Set-SwisObject at command pipeline position 1

Supply values for the following parameters:

Properties:

I put the value 'QA' (wild guess) and it errored out.  Any help would be appreciated.

• That's my fault - I left out the switch name in the Set-SwisObject line. Here's a fixed version:

$CustomPropertyUpdate =@{ Environment = "QA"; }

$uris = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT uri FROM Orion.Nodes WHERE ip_address LIKE '10.1.%"

$uris | Set-SwisObject $swis -Properties $CustomPropertyUpdate

(I am going to edit my post above to save future readers from the error.)

• Thank you tdanner!  That did the trick.  Being somewhat new to scripting, I am finding that its quite easy to replicate repetitive tasks (especially when using the "bulk" format tdanner advised in this post).  I do have a decent understanding of the DB schema however.  Just thought I would mention that considering most of you helping have XX years of programming experience.

Going forward anytime something new comes across my desk, I am asking myself.  "Can I do this via the API ?"

Thanks again for the help, I am really enjoying this!