This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to link a group container to node (how to create a mute_group alert)

Hi,

I am trying to create a way for users to be able to bulk mute servers in a group.  I ended up creating dynamic group queries to look for servers belonging to certain node custom properties.  I then created a custom view to list (linkable) nodes belonging a root group.  Users can now select the group and edit the group custom property group called mute_group, and set to mute.

Now I need to create an advanced alert to lookup the group field if it's set to "mute_group", and at the same time, also look for other node.custom property variables.

However when I try to create an advanced alert, I can't link to the group custom property to any node details.

So, I am thinking of creating an advanced swql alert, however when I try to create this in swql it's giving an ambigous error. 

Is there a way to link both the orion.groups and orion.nodes together by swql in the advanced swql alerting?

Thanks in advance!

pastedImage_0.png

• There's no relationship defined between Orion.ContainerMembers and Orion.Nodes - this is why the alert designer doesn't offer to link them together.

However, you are correct that you can use a "Custom SWQL" alert to get around that by using a custom join. Here's something to get you started:

SELECT Nodes.Uri, Nodes.DisplayName FROM Orion.Nodes AS Nodes

-------

INNER JOIN Orion.Groups G

ON G.Members.MemberPrimaryID=Nodes.NodeID

AND G.Members.MemberEntityType=Nodes.InstanceType

WHERE G.CustomProperties.Comments='mute_group'

AND Nodes.CustomProperties.City='Austin'

This will return all nodes whose City property is "Austin" and that are members of any group whose Comments field says "mute_group". Customize for your environment.

• Ahh, I thought this would work out, as the same way the swql report builder works, but it seems like the select is static, as I can't change.  Guess this idea may not work for now.

SELECT Nodes.Uri, Nodes.DisplayName, nodes.status, cp.os_admin, gcp.mute_group

FROM Orion.Nodes AS Nodes

------- 

INNER JOIN Orion.Groups G  

ON G.Members.MemberPrimaryID=Nodes.NodeID  

AND G.Members.MemberEntityType=Nodes.InstanceType

left join orion.nodescustomproperties cp ON cp.nodeid=nodes.nodeid

left join orion.groupcustomproperties gcp ON gcp.containerid=g.containerid

• The report builder doesn't really care what the query returns - it is just going to format it as a table and show it to you. But the alert builder needs the query output in a specific format because it is going to trigger an alert on the objects (nodes, in this case) that are identified by the query.

What would you want the alert engine to do with the extra nodes.status, cp.os_admin, gcp.mute_groupnodes.status, cp.os_admin, and gcp.mute_group values?

• TDanner, thanks for the info/advice like always.  I don't know how complicated this will get into the future if I build on this alert if possible:

nodes.status = down

os_admin = 'windows server'

cp.mute is not true

gcp.mute_group is not true

Thank you for your support!