5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2017 5:19 AM by PeterLyttle

Worldwide Map - Which Address to Use?

PeterLyttle

When setting the "Location" field for SNMP do should you use the "Building", "House" or "Company" addresses as not all addresses seem to plot correctly.

For Example - Solarwinds London Address is "2 Eastbourne Terrace, London, W2 6LG"

If you search Openstreetmap it finds the address based on this it returns 3 results -

Which one should be used as ideally the shortest one (i.e. the original search address) is the most compatible with SNMP location fields etc.

• Re: Worldwide Map - Which Address to Use?
          LadaVarga

Hello,

Every format supported by world map is described in here: Place nodes automatically on the Worldwide Map.

If you will have any problem with that simple add as latLng format.

Lada

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            PeterLyttle

I just wanted to reply to this so it hopefully helps someone else.

Seemingly it turns out that the address needs to be in "MapQuest" format not OpenStreetMap, which is excellent for US based people, however after raising this with MapQuest they informed me -

MapQuest Support: "I'm sorry for the confusion, but we only currently support business listings for the US and Canada."

Disappointing that a tool aimed at a global market is limited as much.

deverts

Hi, PeterLyttle,

While this approach is a bit more labor intensive, you could try:

Place objects into the map using custom properties

Addresses are easy, but I've seen discrepancies on all online mapping tools (even Google Earth). You can't go wrong with providing the exact Lat/Long coordinates.

D

PeterLyttle

Yea we'd thought about that but we were trying to reduce the admin (which typically gets missed from time to time).  Our SNMP Location field is the postal address, this way it was easy to see where something is without needing coords etc.

I've raised a FR asking for a type of location mapping table but not sure if it'll get implemented.  On second thoughts I guess I could create an alert & action that updates Lat/Long if a specific address is seen in the SNMP Location value etc.

PeterLyttle

Just an update on this, I've sort of managed to get it working.  Heres what I did in a nutshell -

Add 2x Custom Properties to each node (Longitude & Latitude).

Create an alert that looks for LON01 in the hostname (you could also use SNMP Location = LON01 etc)

In the Trigger actions Create an action to change a custom property of Longitude to the value you want

In the Trigger actions Create an action to change a custom property of Latitude to the value you want

This will mean all the servers have an automated way of populating Lat/Long values.

Now I ran the following SQL script (that im planning on scheduling hourly)

UPDATE

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints]

SET

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints].Latitude =  CONVERT(DECIMAL(10,5), N.Latitude)

FROM

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints] AS WMP

INNER JOIN

[dbo].[Nodes] AS N

ON

N.NodeID = WMP.InstanceID;

UPDATE

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints]

SET

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints].Longitude =  CONVERT(DECIMAL(10,5), N.Longitude)

FROM

[dbo].[WorldMapPoints] AS WMP

INNER JOIN

[dbo].[Nodes] AS N

ON

N.NodeID = WMP.InstanceID;

The only caveat is that the nodes don't all seem to be in the [dbo].[WorldMapPoints], how they get added in here I don't know yet.

1 of 1 people found this helpful