3 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2017 2:37 AM by tomasv

Linux Software Inventory

lucas.martin

I am looking at my software inventory and it seems that some are missing from the output. Take 'glibc' for instance. I have 5 installed packages on this particular RHEL server:

glibc-common-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1.x86_64

glibc-headers-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1.x86_64

glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1.i686

glibc-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1.x86_64

glibc-devel-2.12-1.166.el6_7.1.x86_64

However, Solarwinds is only reporting under Software Inventory when I search 'glib' with two:

These would be the glibc-devel  and the glibc-headers

I have tried to turn off Asset Inventory under List Resources and turn it back on, nothing changed.  Any ideas Thwack community?

Edit: I completed an SNMP walk on the device and got back all five of what I am looking for under the 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6.3.1.2   hrSWInstalledName OID.

The ones in question end in .13, .130, .475.   It is pulling and displaying the devel, and header with the .482, and .16

Message was edited by: Lucas Martin

• Re: Linux Software Inventory
          joe.tran

Just an hour ago, I was asked to add some functionality that I thought Software Inventory would have been a good tool to help me achieve this and ran into something similar.

In my case, the Linux admins wanted to check that yum-cron was installed. But it wasn't showing up in any of the Asset Inventory views.

The only two listings I get for 'yum' were the yum-utils and yum-metadata-parser. Close but no cigar.

And it was definitely installed on this server!

The Asset Inventory on Linux relies exclusively on SNMP and much like like you, I whipped out some net-snmp-utils. But I tried snmptable.

This is what I get when I queried hrSWInstalledTable grep'ing for 'yum'. Notice the two things are not like the others?

TL;DR - It looks like Software Inventory excludes anything listed as a operatingSystem (2) in the hrSWInstalledType (.1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6.3.1.4 ) column. This seems too specific to be a bug, so the best bet is to submit a "Feature Request" in the SAM forums. In the meantime, I'm going to carve out some time with good ol' UnDP today

• Re: Linux Software Inventory
            tomasv

Asset inventory SNMP polling descriptions contains explicit definition, to skip items from sw inventory marked in OID hrSWInstalledType - 1.3.6.1.2.1.25.6.3.1.4 by values 2 or 3

• 2 : operatingSystem
            • 3 : deviceDriver

2017-05-1509_25_38AiSwSnmpInventory.PNG

You could do change in AssetInventory_PollingDescription to remove this filter, but such change is, of course, unsupported and will be overridden by Orion Configuration Wizard run.