6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2017 9:26 AM by chrisagardner63

PowerOrion - Works in IDE and No Where Else

chrisagardner63

I have a script to add a Node and then Custom Properties.  I wrote the script in PowerShell IDE and when I run it in IDE it works.  When I save it and run it from a PowerShell window it fails.

I am not running in x86, I am running as Adminstrator.

I am getting the following errors-

Get-SwisObject : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'SwisConnection' because it is null.

At C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\Modules\PowerOrion\PowerOrion.psm1:226 char:45

+                 $nodeProps = Get-SwisObject $swis -Uri $newNode

+                                             ~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Get-SwisObject], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisObject

Cannot index into a null array.

At C:\windows\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0\Modules\PowerOrion\PowerOrion.psm1:231 char:21

+                     $nodeSettings = @{

+                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

My Script:

##Decalre Variables

Import-Module PowerOrion

#SWIS Connection

$Hostname = "corpmonap28rm39.safeautonet.net"

#SNMP

$SNMPVersion = "SNMPv2"

$CommunityString = "rad"

#Server Information

$ServerName = 'MyServerName'

#Get DNS Name From IP

$ServerIP = (resolve-dnsname -Type A $ServerName).IPAddress

#SolarWinds Custom Properties

$PatchGroupProd3 = 'PROD3'

$EmailTo = "MyEmail"

$EmailCC = ""

$Environment = "Production"

$Description = "TEST PowerShell"

$Site = "HQ"

$SWNodeProperties = @{

Email_To = $EmailTo;

Email_CC = $EmailCC;

PatchGroup = $PatchGroupProd3;

Environment = $Environment;

SA_Description = $Description;

Site = $Site;

}

Write-Host $ServerName

Write-Host $ServerIP

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $Hostname

New-OrionNode -SwisConnection $swis -ObjectSubType $SNMPVersion -Community $CommunityString  -IPAddress $ServerIP -engineid "1"

#New-OrionNode -SwisConnection $swis

$URI = (get-orionnode -IPAddress $ServerIP -SwisConnection $swis).URi

Write-Host $URI

Set-SwisObject -Uri $URI -Properties @{ Caption = $ServerName  } -SwisConnection $swis

Set-SwisObject $swis $URI/CustomProperties -Properties $SWNodeProperties

• Re: PowerOrion - Works in IDE and No Where Else
          Michael Halpin

Hi chrisagardner63

I fixed a couple of bugs, can you download the latest version of the .psm1 and .psd1 from github, and replace those files on you disk and unload & reload the module.

OrionSDK/Samples/PowerShell/PowerOrion at master · solarwinds/OrionSDK · GitHub

chrisagardner63

Hi Micheal -

I downloaded the files and did as you requested, Removed and Imported the PowerOrion Module.  I am no longer getting the Swis-Connection errors, but now I am getting errors concerning get-orionnode or maybe my syntax is not correct?

Get-help get-orionnode shows to use the -IPAddress switch which I am using and it appears that the error is stating that it is not correct?  I use the server IP Address to create the node.

If I used the Node ID, I can see the properties of Node (its a windows server), but I need to use the IP Address.

I pulled the following out of my script above to test with and I get the error using the -IPAddress switch,

#SWIS Connection

$Hostname = "corpmonap28rm39.safeautonet.net"

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $Hostname

$ServerIP = "10.125.14.69"

Write-Host $ServerIP

#$URI = (get-orionnode -IPAddress $ServerIP -SwisConnection $swis).URi'

get-orionnode -IP $ServerIP -SwisConnection $swis

#Just tested with NodeID to make sure connection works and Node properties are available.

#get-orionnode -NodeID 2237 -SwisConnection $swis

The error is:

Get-SwisObject : Input string was not in a correct format.

At C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\Modules\PowerOrion\PowerOrion.psm1:564 char:18

+     $nodeProps = Get-SwisObject $SwisConnection -Uri $uri

+                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Get-SwisObject], FaultException`1

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : SwisError,SwisPowerShell.GetSwisObject

Set-SwisObject : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Uri' because it is null.

At C:\temp\PSStudio2016\TestSW.ps1:48 char:44

+     Set-SwisObject -SwisConnection $swis -Uri $URI -Properties @{ Cap ...

+                                               ~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Set-SwisObject], ParameterBindingValidationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,SwisPowerShell.SetSwisObject

Set-SwisObject : Invalid SWIS uri at character 17: Incomplete uri. Parser did not finish in End state, but instead was

left in Scheme state

Parameter name: uri

At C:\temp\PSStudio2016\TestSW.ps1:51 char:2

+     Set-SwisObject -SwisConnection $swis $URI/CustomProperties -Prope ...

+     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

chrisagardner63

Wanted to update you, I could not get Get-OrionNode to work for me.  I rewrote that part of my script as below.  Its works as I expected it to.

Not sure if I am just not understanding Get-OrionNode or not.

I appreciate your work on PowerOrion, I am using this as part of a PowerShell GUI for my Junior Admins to ensure that servers get added to SolarWinds properly along with entering all of the necessary Custom Properties.

##SolarWinds Create Node

New-OrionNode -SwisConnection $swis -ObjectSubType $SNMPVersion -Community $CommunityString -IPAddress $ServerIP -engineid "1"

##SolarWinds Get Server URI

$NodeInfo = Get-SwisData $swis "SELECT NodeID, IPAddress, Sysname FROM Orion.Nodes where IPAddress = '$ServerIP'"

$NodeID = $NodeInfo.NodeID

Write-Host $NodeID

$URI = "swis://./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=$NodeId"

Write-Host $URI

##SolarWinds Set Node Caption

Set-SwisObject -Uri $URI -Properties @{ Caption = $ServerName } -SwisConnection $swis

##SolarWinds Set Node Custom Properties

Set-SwisObject -SwisConnection $swis $URI/CustomProperties -Properties $SWNodeProperties

Michael Halpin

Thanks chrisagardner63.

I'm currently looking at options on making this module a lot more robust, I'll definitely dig in to this in more detail when I get a bit of time. I really appreciate the feedback, let me know if you hit any more hurdles, once I get this updated I'll reply back, just in case you can test the other changes.