3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 3:41 PM by Michael Halpin

Deleting Interfaces

nick_scott

I am creating a basic script that will ultimately automatically remove loopback, mgmt., null interfaces and others once a week.  The script below does return Uri's as intended however when I add the remove object statement it throws an error I do not understand

$ErrorActionPreference = 'Stop'

#Add the snapin

Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

#create a connection to solarwinds

$hostname = '10.X.X.X'
      $username = 'admin'
      $password = 'XXXXX'

#swis = Connect-Swis -Hostanme $hostname -Trusted

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

#Query Data

$query = Get-SwisData $swis "Select uri FROM Orion.NPM.interfaces WHERE InterfaceName = 'lo'"

# This returns the following Uri's

swis://XXXX.my.domain.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=123/Interfaces/InterfaceID=321

swis://XXXX.my.domain.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=456/Interfaces/InterfaceID=654

swis://XXXX.my.domain.net/Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=789/Interfaces/InterfaceID=987

# When adding the final remove object line...

$query | ForEach-Object { Remove-SwisObject $swis $query }

I get the error below

ForEach-Object : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'System.String' required by parameter

'Uri'. Specified method is not supported.

At C:\Users\nsd000.QACMA\Documents\PowerShell Scripts\Do not Modify\Delete Loopbacks MGMT and Null

Interfaces.ps1:22 char:10

+ $query | ForEach-Object { Remove-SwisObject $swis $query }

+          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [ForEach-Object], ParameterBindingException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConvertArgument,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ForEachObjectComma

nd

This format works well when I use the same logic on the script below.  The only difference I can see is that the script above is pulling from Orion.NPM.Interfaces and the one below is Orion.Volumes

#Add the snapin
      Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

$hostname = '10.xXX'

$username = 'admin'

$password = 'XXXXX'

$swis = Connect-Swis -Hostname $hostname -Username $username -Password $password

#Query Data

$query = Get-SwisData $swis "Select uri FROM Orion.volumes WHERE VolumeDescription = 'Cached Memory' AND VolumePercentUsed ='100'"

# Remove Objects 

• Re: Deleting Interfaces
          Michael Halpin

Hey @nick_scott,

when the $query returns a number of objects, it'll store them as an array

$query.gettype()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                           
          -------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                           
          True     True     Object[]                                 System.Array   

Each element in the array however is a string

$query[0].gettype()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                           
          -------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                           
          True     True     String                                   System.Object    

So the easiest thing to do is just to do a foreach

foreach ($q in $query){
            write-output "This is a string: $q"
          }
          This is a string: swis://OrionVM./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1/Volumes/VolumeID=3
          This is a string: swis://OrionVM./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1/Volumes/VolumeID=1
          This is a string: swis://OrionVM./Orion/Orion.Nodes/NodeID=1/Volumes/VolumeID=2

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              nick_scott

Hey Mike, thanks for the quick reply.  So by "manually" adding the additional text we essentially change the Uri value to a string ?  I played around with the #Remove Object line quite a bit and was able to remove all values found in the query using the last line below

#Add the snapin
              Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin

$hostname = X
              $username = X
              $password = X

#Query Data

$query = Get-SwisData $swis "Select uri FROM Orion.NPM.interfaces WHERE InterfaceType ='24'"

# Convert Uri values to strings https://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/110500

foreach ($q in $query){ 
              write-output "This is a string: $q" 
              }

# Remove Objects

$query | Remove-SwisObject $swis

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone see any major issues with the script above ?

Michael Halpin

Hi Nick,

Sorry, I missed something important in your first post. In this new code, using the foreach loop, the below would have done.

is not the same as

$query | Remove-SwisObject $swis

Basically, in the original code you post the foreach loop isn't really parsing each object in the pipleline, the second "$query" is called each time, rather than the individual array members. (I haven't tested, but I think $_ would have done instead of $query)

In this new code, using the foreach loop, the below would have done. (I muddied the waters with write-output as an example )

foreach ($q in $query){ 
                    $q | Remove-SwisObject $swis
                  }

But ultimately, $query | Remove-SwisObject $swis will be more efficient because of how the remove-SwisObject cmdlet does a bulk update, rather than individually cycling through the array like the example I suggested

1 of 1 people found this helpful