This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows Update reports

Is there anyway to get windows update reports like pending updates, last patched kind of report for the nodes?

• Are you already running patch manager or do you mean in conjunction with NPM /  SAM?

Your best bet for that would be Patch Manager:

Patch Manager

Patch Management Software - Software Patching | SolarWinds

• No i dont have patch manager, i'm talking is there anything with NPM and SAM. If we can get some reports for patching

• There is a little bit of info in the Asset Inventory screen in SAM and you can do some reporting off of that data:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

• I didn't know that field was even there, Good call, and well played.   Thanks.

• I actually don't see the asset inventory area, mine looks different.  Where is that located.   Seems like in 12.1 RC we have some customizations and things appear differently.

• Here's what I see under Node Details - I just updated to the latest RC(s) this week, but I've had this available for a while now.

pastedImage_0.png

• Go to one of the nodes in question and click on "List Resources" ... Asset Inventory has to be selected for the left side navigation for it to appear.

Also remember this is SAM specific so if you meant you only have NPM 12.1 then Asset Inventory for servers will not be available.

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

• Hi,

I'm also interested in creating reports to generate counts and list of missing approved updates for each computer on our network. We have Patch Manager but the report builder is not as user friendly like the Web Report Writer in Orion. I have so SAM with licenses just for the Domain Controllers and SQL Servers but would I be able to use it to generate update reports for all windows computers in the network?

Thanks in advance.

• Have a look @ SAM templates

Windows Update Monitoring

Available hidden updates

This component monitor returns the number of available hidden updates.

Available critical updates

This component monitor returns the number of available critical updates. This should always be zero.

Available optional updates

This component monitor returns the number of available optional updates.

Installed updates

This component monitor returns the number of installed updates.

Days passed from last Windows Update

This component monitor returns the number of days that have passed from the last Windows update installation. Additionally, this component returns the name of the last installed update.

Windows Updates activity status

This component monitor returns the installation status of Windows update.

Possible values:

• 0 – Windows currently is not installing updates.
    • 1 – Windows currently is installing updates.

class="Term"

• 1 – Reboot required before installing updates.

class="Term"

• 1 – Updates installed. Reboot required.

Service: Windows Updates

This component monitors the Windows update service which enables the detection, download, and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows update or its automatic updating feature. If this service is down, programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent (WUA) API.

and

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-147466#start=50

Windows Updates Monitoring

This template allows you to check status of Windows Updates. It monitors how many new (hidden, critical and optional) updates are available, how many updates installed, check is reboot required before/after installing updates and how many passed from last Windows Updates installation.

Prerequisites: WinRM must be installed and properly configured on the target server.

Credentials: Administrator on target server.

Monitored Components

Available hidden updates

This component monitor shows amount of available hidden updates.

Available critical updates

This component monitor shows amount of available critical updates. Should always be zero.

Available optional updates

This component monitor shows amount of available optional updates.

Installed updates

This component monitor shows amount of installed updates.

Days passed from last Windows Update

This component monitor returns how many days have passed from last Windows Updates installation. Also this component returns the name of last installed update.

Machine restart status after installing Windows Updates

This component monitor shows restart status after installing Windows Updates.

Possible values:
    0 - No reboot requires.
    1 - Updates installed. Reboot required.

Service: Windows Updates

This component monitors Windows Updates service which enables the detection, download, and installation of updates for Windows and other programs. If this service is disabled, users of this computer will not be able to use Windows Update or its automatic updating feature, and programs will not be able to use the Windows Update Agent (WUA) API.

You might also get some information using SWQL and the tables when collecting inventory.

SELECT Nodes.DisplayName, OSUpdates.DisplayName, OSUpdates.InstallDate, OSUpdates.InstalledBy, OSUpdates.Name, OSUpdates.Type, OSUpdates.Url FROM Orion.AssetInventory.OSUpdates INNER JOIN Orion.Nodes ON OSUpdates.NodeID=Nodes.NodeID