1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2017 12:36 PM by jbiggley

You're Playing With The Big Boys Now

If you have kids (or grand-kids or you just like kids' movies) you might recognize that quote from Prince of Egypt.  That movie gets a lot of play time at our house.  (No, I won't be turning my staff into a serpent any time soon!)  I did, however, feel that it was an appropriate introduction to our environment.

1. What industry is your company in?

We manufacture and distribute healthcare supplies and distribute pharmaceutical products around the world

1. How large is your IT shop? (Small (1-250 elements); Medium (251 – 2000 elements); Large (2001 to 10000 elements); Extra-large (greater than 10,000 elements)

We're definitely in the 'Other' category here.  (Wait, there is no other?)  The last time I checked our element count we were just north of 96,000.

1. Which SolarWinds product are you writing this review for?

All of them?  OK, unrealistic unless you are a fan of Tolstoy, but we do have Network Performance Monitor (NPM), Server and Application Manager (SAM), Virtualization Manager (VMAN), Storage Resource Manager (SRM), Network Traffic Analyzer (NTA), Database Performance Analyzer (DPA) and Kiwi Syslog in play today.  We also have some scalability engines (lots of scalability engines!) in play for both our polling tier -- Additional Polling Engines (APE) -- and our web tier -- Additional Web Servers (AWS)

1. What problem were you trying to solve when you purchased?

Stability, performance and cost were the primary drivers.  The previous platform was 100% agent driven and was not meeting the expectations of the enterprise on ease of support, overall performance from a breadth of data collection and was expensive for what it promised today and unnecessarily expensive for what it actually could do.  SolarWinds was a significant cost savings and has expanded the service offerings we deliver to the enterprise in ways that the previous platform simply could not have done.

1. Did you consider options other than SolarWinds? Who?

I think we did, but I prefer not to name names.  (Actually, I wasn't around when it was purchased so I couldn't name names without making wild guesses anyway!)

1. How are you using the product and what benefits have you seen?

Innovation. <mic drop>

In all seriousness, it has been the level of innovation from SolarWinds that has allowed us to keep pace, and sometimes push the boundaries, on service delivery as an monitoring team.  Whether AppStack (right when our senior management team was asking for application lineage) or Cloud Monitoring (shortly after we decided to make the leap to 'the cloud') or virtualization monitoring (and really, at an obscene scale) when teams were asking to know where their applications were running within the virtualization layer.  All of this was driven by the exemplary production manager and development teams at SolarWinds.