1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 8, 2017 3:45 PM by robertcbrowning

IPAM "Remove DNS Servers" button

tigger2

Using: IPAM 4.3

Background: We have some DNS servers that are "no longer being used", but they are still on the network and really I have no idea if they are actually "no longer being used" or not.  I was told it was OK to remove them from IPAM. In IPAM, under the "DNS Servers" tab there is a "Remove DNS Servers" button.  When clicking it, it appears that it will only remove the DNS Server from IPAM, and also remove the zones associated with the DNS server.  There is a small unchecked checkbox that says "Remove zones from DNS server".

Question: If I delete this DNS server from IPAM, does it *just* delete it (and it's associated zones) from IPAM?  It won't attempt to do anything to the DNS server itself (or other DNS servers)?  I keep reading on the forums that "IPAM is just a spreadsheet-like view of DNS/DHCP data", "it only scans for data, if it were any more harmless it would hop up to you and nibble carrots from your hand while looking adorable with it's doe-like eyes, etc" and yet there appear to be features that actually talk back and manage DNS/DHCP (like that "Remove zones from DNS server" check box).  I feel 99 % confident that as long as I don't check the "Remove zones from DNS server" option that the removal will be only from IPAM, but I'm also 1% not sure that the tool isn't going to do something weird and unexpected because it appears to be able to talk back to the DHCP/DNS systems and manage them (maybe there's a bug or user unfriendly feature that's lightly documented somewhere)...

I feel a silly for asking, but I'm not an IPAM guru and I don't see anything in the admin docs that indicates the remove button does anything besides simply removing it from IPAM...but then I run across this in the docs when *adding* a DNS server "When you add a DNS server in IPAM, it changes the Transfer Zone Configurations on the DNS server."... which makes me wonder if removing would also do something similar the DNS server to clean up that config(s) created when adding it.