This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

RabbitMQ Log size

A drive on my primary poller is fillinging up, and I wanted to do some clean up before I added space to it.

Since its itstall RabbitMQ has two log files that have grown steadily since install in late August.

c:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Orion\RabbitMQ\log\

Files:

rabbit@<servername>.log                12GB

rabbit@<servername>-sasl.log         56 GB

First, is it safe to stop the RabbitMQ service, delete the logs and start it back up?

Second is anybody else seeing growth of these files?

Thanks!

• With no thoughts from thwack I figured I couldn't do much harm, so I have stopped the RabbitMQ service and removed the files without issue. I am still not sure why these logs grew as large as they did, I can't really read text files that large easily, so after a few days I will look into the contents of the new ones that get created.

• Hi, those files usually grow that much in case the Rabbit hypervisor is crashing for some reason. In this case also Orion can't use the RabbitMQ. Usually the reason is, that the system has disabled TLS 1,2 and Orion can't configure the RabbitMQ properly.

If you want to repair this, then here are some steps:

Based on environment you may or may not have the TLS 1.2 behavior defined in the registry. The path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols\TLS 1.2

To specify the settings namely, create keys "Client" and "Server". Inside them create DWORD32 variable "Enabled" and assign it value 1. For Client key create also DWORD32 variable "DisabledByDefault" and assign it value 0.

If it's disabled, the registry will probably look like:

image2017-2-8 16:29:23.png

The InformationService probably still won't be able to connect to RMQ because of the user settings misconfiguration, so please proceed with following steps to reset the RabbitMQ configuration:

1. Uninstall "RabbitMQ Server (SolarWinds Distribution)" from Programs and Features
    2. Delete C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Orion\RabbitMQ
    3. Delete the service control entry with sc delete rabbitmq
    4. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Ericsson from the registry.
    5. Install C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Installers\SolarWinds.RabbitMQ.Install.msi.
    6. Run the Database section of the Configuration Wizard.

I believe the problems will be gone.

• Why would the config wizard need to be run here? The problem and the repair have nothing to do with the database. I try to avoid the config wizard where ever possible because it takes 45 mins to run in my environment.

• I am curious to if anyone has found a fix for this? We are now having the issue and we do NOT have TLS1.2 enabled on our servers

Thanks

• I think you misread the post, RabbitMQ requires TLS 1.2

Solarwinds can more or less get by without RabbitMQ at this point because it fails back to MSMQ for poller to poller communication but I don't know how far that backward compatibility extends with the new product features since they switched to using RabbitMQ

• The newer Orion core installs I have not had an issue with. What your Orion core version?

• I am running Orion Platform 2017.3.2 SP2