14 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2017 3:47 PM by rodri

Newbie-SCCM configuration question

zdavid

I think I have a permission setting that is wrong but I can't figure out what. I have successfully added the patch manager to the SCCM console and can see 3rd Party Updates. When I try publishing a 7-Zip update it says it is successful, but it never appears in All Software Updates. If I try publishing an Adobe Flash Player patch, it just spins and gets stuck at the download part of the progress bar and I'm forced to cancel the download.

I've checked the Software Update Point and I have all the boxes checked under Classifications, and 7-Zip and Adobe Systems checked under Products.

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Update: So the 7-Zip patch finally showed up, not sure why it took so long (I published it yesterday afternoon). The Flash update is trying to download from the Solarwinds KnowledgeBase. The 7-Zip was downloaded from 7-Zip directly. Is there something I need to set up to allow downloads from SolarWinds?

• Re: Newbie-SCCM configuration question
          dang

The adobe flash update, you have to manually download and the manually upload into solarwinds.  You'll need to get an Adobe Software Distribution Request.  http://www.adobe.com/go/rdr_apply_dist/  You can do this for Reader/Air and Flash

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            kellytice

To touch on the 7-Zip thing:

you've already discovered part of this, but the first time you publish a new Application, you have to jump through a hoop or two:

• Publish the 7-Zip (or whatever) package.   That copies the package and the binary content from the Patch Manager side of things into the Software Update Point (SUP).
            • In the SCCM Console, under All Software Updates, kick off a Software Synchronization (or wait for it to happen on its normal cycle).  This will force SCCM to go look for new updates on the SUP.   
              If this application hasn't been published before, it will now show up in the SUP settings -> Products tab, but it will not be checked so you need to go in there and check it.
            • Once that Vendor/App combination is properly 'checked' in the Products tab of the SUP settings, you must go back into All Software Updates and sync again or you must wait for it to happen on its normal cycle.  Then it will show up under All Software updates view as a deployable update.    <-- my assumption is that this extra sync is what you didn't do and therefore the update didn't pop in until SCCM did its own routine periodic sync action.
            • Subsequent attempts to publish the same application packages should only involve  the Publish action and the "kick off a sync" action, then it will show up.
              zdavid

Thanks for the advice. The download issue isn't limited to Adobe products though. While I am able to create the 7Zip package, when I try downloading it, I get an "invalid certificate signature" error.

Any ideas?

zdavid

SCCM doesn't give me the option to approve the certificate.

zdavid

Update: I've made some progress with this. I can download updates using the patch manager and then deploy them using SCCM, but I can't download them directly from SCCM using the plug-in.

Is there some setting that needs to be enabled in SCCM to allow this?

kellytice

I'm not sure why the menu options are different, but in the Patch Manager console there is an option to "Download Content" as a separate item on the right-click/Actions menu.

When you select a package in the SCCM console 3rd party updates view, that option is not there.

In either console, however, if you launch the Publish dialog, if the binary content for that package is not already there you will be presented with the Download Content dialog.

-----------------------------

tl;dr:   In the SCCM console, if you want to get the download content wizard, you have to do "Publish"

zdavid

Thanks everyone. I think I finally got this sorted and working. Couldn't have done it without all your help. Is there a way to mark multiple people correct? You all helped in some fashion.

zdavid

With 7-Zip I wasn't able to, it seems that for some reason SCCM didn't like 7-Zip's certificate. I downloaded via the SolarWinds Patch Manager, and then SCCM was able to use it. For the Adobe products I signed up as a volume distributor, this is free, to access the patches. dang posted a link earlier in the post. Java patches worked straight away.

ndgirl

zDavid, I am in a similar situation, having approved and published 3rd party updates which are visible only in the 3rd Party Updates view in SCCM console, and they do not appear to be deployable from there. I added the 3rd party vendors to the ADR, but none are retrieved to the All Software Updates view, no Software Group is created, and no existing Software Group is updated to include them, even after I've published them to WSUS.  The "Is Published" and "Downloaded" boxes are checked in the 3rd Party Updates views; that should indicate that they are published to WSUS, yes?  What am I missing?  I am "republishing" them and resynching the All Software Updates view for about the 20th time.  I need to patch today and don't want to resort to Altiris, but it works, so I may have to.  Help!

Thanks!

Carrie

zdavid

Once they were visible in the 3rd party software group it still took a couple of hours for SCCM to fully realize they were there. I then had to create a software update group with the updates, and then deploy them. Wasn't able to deploy them directly from the software list.