12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 9:31 AM by pratikmehta003

HP ProCurve - Hardware status Undefined

tonybarrett

We've recently added a few HP Procurve 5406zlR2 (J9850a) chassis switches to our network. I've added them to NPM ok, and the interface stats and metrics are polling fine. One thing that isn't working though is the 'Overall hardware status' information which always shows as 'Undefined'. I've tried adjusting polling settings, changing from SNMPv2c to SNMPv1 but no change. The previous gen model (J8697a) work fine. The SysObjectID of the new switch is 1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.160

Is this anything to do with NPM MIBS not being aware of the new SysObjectID? I'd really like to get this sorted.

Thanks

• Re: HP ProCurve - Hardware status Undefined
          ken_cohen

It seems likely that the MIB is no longer valid in the new switch.  I suggest a MIB walk and see if its been moved to a different OID, if indeed it's there at all.

cdow2011

tonybarrett , What firmware are you running on this troublesome switch? I have 4 of these switches, and they're all working just fine.  I have one that is not reporting hardware health, which is running on v16.02.0014.

alec_j123

I am also having issues with hardware health reporting on new gen chassis running firmware v16.02.0013.  Version k.15.04.0015m works just fine on previous gen chassis for us.

yusoserious

You have 5400R series chassis switches that are reporting hardware health? 

This doesn't work for us here.  From what the Solarwinds Support Tech said, the Hardware health sensors is a part of SAM?  and we would have to create Universal Device Pollers.  However, when we went through the process on the webex, he said he couldn't help us in polling the hardware health sensors information.

I have a feature request submitted through our account and there is also some threads that reference this as an issue elsewhere.  Who knows when that will gain any traction. 

cdow2011

From what I've been able to track down, and have stopped looking for more information on this, it really depends on HP firmware version. They changed something in a later firmware update, and it killed hardware health monitoring. Yeah, SolarWinds wants you to build all this custom stuff and I got tired of fiddling with it.  They want to blame HP, and HP doesn't really respond on this issue, so I'm not sure what else can be done.

I don't have time to uber-customize my SolarWinds environment, so I guess this will become an issue when a fan blows itself out and management starts asking why we didn't know it was failing.

jnewell

Hi all,

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone had any luck with this?

I have several devices running KB.16.04.0009 where hardware health is not monitoring and I think I am going somewhat blind looking through OIDs... That being said, I have been looking at the MIB browser and it is not displaying data on these devices for the selected OIDs.

Has anyone seen this before?

Kind regards,

J

ejccna72

I had to revert firmware back to 15.17.0013 to get any semblance of hardware resource monitoring back on the 5406zl2's we have. As soon as you bounce up to 16 (any version it seems) it breaks again. There is DEFINITELY a problem with the Aruba rebranding in 16. They have some work to do once they realize just how much of a miss this is. Even with 15 I only get temp sensors. Power supply sensors come up N/A. Really wish they would get this corrected. It's highly annoying!

jnewell

Ah, reverting back to an earlier version might not be an option, but I will discuss and find out.

I agree though, this is very annoying! Seems like it has been going on for a while though, which surprises me they are taking their time sorting this!

I still find it odd that even even the basic OIDs seem not to return data, but show information on an SNMP walk. Any thoughts on this?

Kind regards,

J

pratikmehta003

even i have been struggling with many of the HP gear switches and routers.. hardware health either remains unknown state OR doesnt get detected...

Custom poller option is there but doesnt help if there are huge number of devices....