This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Free Space Datastore Alert

Hello,

I am attempting to setup a virtual datastore alarm in SAM. My connection to VMAN is working.

I want it to fire when the datastore get's below 20 GB

For some reason, I cannot get it to work.  I can clearly see that I have less than 20 GB free, but the trigger doesn't fire.

Can you please look at my screenshots, i'm sure i'm missing something.

Thank you.

attachments.zip
  • My co-worker and I were able to figure this out.

For the alert, you have to set the value in bytes

• I wanted to provide the solution we used on our side.  Instead of setting it to a flat value, we ended up using the utilization/space thresholds.  At this time, I did not see the space utilization threshold as an option under the Virtual Datastore Trigger conditions, so we ended up using a "Custom SWQL Alert (Advanced)."  On the "Set up your SWQL condition" select "Virtual Datastore"

In the query box supply the following:

WHERE Datastores.Thresholds.Name = 'VIM.Datastores.Stats.SpaceUsage'
    AND (Datastores.Thresholds.IsLevel1State = TRUE
    OR Datastores.Thresholds.CurrentValue > Datastores.Thresholds.Level1Value)

We built in a little extra redundancy in the event the threshold flag didn't trip, so we added in the comparison as well.  The query above will be the warning threshold, change the Level1 with Level2 in both values for the critical value.

From the actual datastore object within SolarWinds, go to edit thresholds and do an override on "Storage Capacity Usage" if you need to adjust to a higher or lower value.

We also started to use the modern dashboards, and are using the following query to show our low space datastores.

SELECT [VDS].Name
    ,[VDS].Type
    ,[VDS].Accessible
    ,[VDS].ManagedStatus
    ,[VDS].DetailsUrl
    ,Round(([VDS].FreeSpace/(1073741824)), 2) AS SpaceAvailable_GB
    ,[VDS].SpaceUtilization
    ,[VDS].ClusterCount
    ,[VDS].Thresholds.IsLevel1State
    ,[VDS].Thresholds.IsLevel2State
    ,[VDS].Thresholds.Level1Value
    ,[VDS].Thresholds.Level2Value
    FROM Orion.VIM.Datastores [VDS]
    WHERE [VDS].Thresholds.Name = 'VIM.Datastores.Stats.SpaceUsage'
    AND ([VDS].Thresholds.IsLevel1State = TRUE
    OR [VDS].Thresholds.IsLevel2State = TRUE
    OR [VDS].Thresholds.CurrentValue > [VDS].Thresholds.Level1Value
    OR [VDS].Thresholds.CurrentValue > [VDS].Thresholds.Level2Value)
    ORDER BY [VDS].SpaceUtilization DESC

If you want the dashboard to show all of the datastores, just remove everything from the AND in the where clause up to Order BY.  The mappings for the columns are pretty easy.  Just use:
      Format:  Orion Entity
      Icon:  Entity type + status
      Field Mappings:
         Column Datastore
            Format:  Orion Entity, Icon:  Entity type + status
            Entity type:  datastore, Status:  ManagedStatus, Details URL:  DetailsURl, Label, Name

All other columns we just used the no formatter option and flagged the various other values