11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2017 6:56 AM by p.darila

virtualization manager integration

jeffreyc

What are the credentials needed to set up the virtualization manager integration in orion. Is that just the web page log in , appliance password or something else?

• Re: virtualization manager integration
          chrispaap

it is the account used to access the appliance. The account should also have vCenter permissions is connecting to a vSenvironmentrnment.

orioncrack

"The account should also have vCenter permissions is connecting to a vSenvironmentrnment."

It woiuld seem to me that this account is just the appliance user/password independent of Vcenter creds.

My VMan appliance has its own user/pass that we enter in the integration page, and it tests OK, just using the built in Admin account.

This account is not related to Vcenter so can you can you clarify?

I'm having all sorts of issues getting VMan data to Orion.

All of my data is in VMan fine, but VMan data is not getting to Orion at all.

Thanks.

mprobus

Here is the way I have things set up.  It sounds like you have the same setup unless I'm missing something, so I'm not sure if I'm helping, but just in case.

VMAN:

We have an account that has access to connect to the vCenters and pull in the data.

We also have the admin password for VMAN itself.

Orion:

We use admin username / password to build the integration between VMAN and Orion.  This connects over port 443.

For the polling, we assign the account that has access to connect to the vCenters.  This is set under Virtualization Settings for each vCenter.

orioncrack

This is how I have it setup. I'm getting all data but storage and other misc data now. This worked perfectly for 6.0 before we moved to 6.5.

VMan sees all. But Orion console does not. Frustrating.

mprobus

That might be the difference.  We haven't upgraded yet.  Still at 5.5

orioncrack

Lucky you.

Thanks man

mprobus

Looks like I have something to look forward to.  They are working on moving to 6.5 in the next month or so.  So, you have a month to fix things and let me know what you did.  :-D

orioncrack

I hope so. My whole team is barking about this. Will update as I get updates. I have tried removing all and re-adding. Nothing works. Ughz.

p.darila

What version of VIM do you have in your Orion? It sounds like you are still on VIM 2.1.2

About account:

- you don't have to use same account for VMAN and for vCenter. Documentation could be a little bit misleading in this point.

- in VMAN: you need 1 admin account (admin by default; Users tab in settings), then you add credentials under Credentials tab (these are credentials for vCenters and so on), and then you can add data-sources

- when you are integrating - you will use VMAN admin account for integration. Credentials for vCenters are automatically downloaded from VMAN and added to Orion/VIM

orioncrack

As mentioned up above, this is exactly how I have it setup.

I understand the difference between the two, which is why I questioned "The account should also have vCenter permissions is connecting to a vSenvironmentrnment."  this statement. This is the opposite of what you are saying, and what we have in place.

One question, when NPM asks do you want to "add an ESX host because its unmonitored", what do we answer? I assumed that VMan integration took care of all of this via integration, and we should decline the offer to add it as a Node..

EDIT - we are on  VIM 7.0.0,

p.darila

ESX Host (not managed as node in Orion) that is polled by VMAN and synced with VIM si completely monitored from virtualization perspective. Only missing VIM feature is Hardware Health, but you will get all virt. alerts, counters and so on.

Since NPM is monitoring nodes, from NPM perspective ESX host won't be monitored, but I don't know what will be missing.

to missing storage data: If you have VIM 7.0 and also VMAN 7.0, and you see data from vCenter 6.5 in VMAN, these data should be also in VIM. If I could advise, try to upgrade to new VIM/VMAN 7.1, and if this won't help, open ticket on support. If you don't want to upgrade, just open ticket on support, this should be working on VIM 7. (your integration setup is obviously correct - it was working before vCenter upgrade)