This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface specific configuration on Cisco devices with NCM

I've been working for awhile in setting up some compliance reports that allows me to check specific interfaces for configuration commands. My issue was that I needed to only make these checks on interfaces that were assigned to vlan 3001. I looked here, but couldn't find anyone else who solved this particular issue, so I thought i'd share my work and maybe help others out or refine my technique.

So my issue is that i need to make checks for qos commands on interfaces assigned to vlan 3001:

Example interface:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description This is for a critical device

switchport access vlan 3001

So the data i want is the first and third line. The regex I came up with is this:

^interface (Fast|Gigabit)Ethernet././.+\r\n\sdescription(.*$)\r\n\sswitchport access vlan 3001\r\n

This grabs the inteface information and matches only to switchports who have access vlan 3001. Now let's break it down line by line, since this is a multiline regex.

Line one is this part: ^interface (Fast|Gigabit)Ethernet././.+\r\n

This says that "interface" has to be at the start of the line. after interface it can say either Fast or Gigabit and Ethernet exists after both of them. In the ././.+ section the "." represents any alphanumeric character. the / is the / from the interface and the + allows for more than 1 character (so it matches 1 and 10). \r\n deal with carriage returns and newlines. Adding this allows us to evaluate the second line, description.

Line 2 is this part:  \sdescription(.*$)\r\n

in conf-if, there is always a space before the command so \s accounts for the space before "description". After the word description, "(.*$)" matches any character (.) and as many as exists (*) until the end of the line ($). To end that line, we have another \r\n for carriage return and newline.

Line 3 is this part: \sswitchport access vlan 3001\r\n

Again, \s accounts for the space before the command, and I just typed out "switchport access vlan 3001" as that is the specific line i'm looking for. again, you see a \r\n to account for the carriage return and new line.

That regex searches for what i need. now, when i build my remediation commands, I can type out:

mls qos cos 4

mls qos trust cisco-phone

and if I tell the rule in NCM to "Run script on each config block in violation", then it will append the first line of the search, which happens to be the interface. If interface GigabitEther1/0/2 is non-compliant, you end up with remediation steps created by NCM that say:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2

mls qos cos 4

mls qos trust cisco-phone

And you're all done. To accomplish the task above, you have to use "Config Block" instead of "Entire Config" when you're searching for compliance. The regex is your start of the code block and "!" (without the quotes) is the end. If you look at a raw config, you'll see an ! at the end of each interface config. It's perfect for these uses.

Hope that helps someone. It surely helped me!

• Just looking into this quickly I would suggest a using a negative look ahead regex and and parenthesis. Take a look at the image and see if this works. Please note that I am not experianced with lookaheads or groups in regex, so I may have made a mistake with it.1.PNG

• Looking at your config, i find that more confusing than what I did. lol My config search include only the criteria i want to match, and the config block is properly selected.

I can't really tell if your config search would work. I feel like you'd need conditionals instead of just and/ors to make it work. If I'm reading it correctly you're saying it must contain the switchport config for 3001 and cos 4 and trust cisco-phone, but it also could not include switchport access vlan 3001.  Maybe your switchport config for 3001 needs to also be in the parenthesis. Wouldn't that config mean regardless of switchport access vlan, it needs to have cos 4 and cisco-phone?

• What I was trying to do there was tiered logic. First the config block, which is fairly standard. So each interface is either vlan 3001 or not. If it is vlan 3001 then it should check for all items in the the parenthesis. This may be a cleaner way of doing it if you plan on using the config block line for remediation, but your way should work as well assuming you don't mind NCM repasting the description and switchport lines (which could be troublesome if your policy report wasn't updated since the latest configuration change).

• It doesn't repost all of it. Remediation only uses the first line when you use ${ConfigBlockStartLine} as the variable. It grabs just the interface and then the rest of the commands I post. I was initially worried about that though, but it seems to work fine. I used it this morning to correct some interface configs.

I will give your way a shot. That'd be a simpler way to do it, but I enjoyed writing that regex (if i'm gonna be honest. emoticons_grin.png )

• Nice!  I can see lots of different uses for this.

• Wasn't aware that it would only use the first line. Now that is useful to know. Now I am going to spend the weekend thinking of how to use that.

• Right? My mind exploded when I found that out. I expected to be fighting with remediation for awhile and it just all lined up. I'd love to see some good uses for it. If you come up with anything cool, share with the class? emoticons_happy.png