0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 3:17 PM by rschroeder

Spread The Word:  Again NCM has saved my bacon after Cisco issues a February 2017 factory recall of newer ASA's, ISR Routers, 9000 ACI switches, and UCS chassis servers

rschroeder
      • What industry is your company in?
        • Health Care
      • How large is your IT shop? (Small (1-250 elements); Medium (251 – 2000 elements); Large (2001 to 10000 elements); Extra-large (greater than 10,000 elements)
        • Extra Large
      • Which SolarWinds product are you writing this review for?
        • NCM
      • What problem were you trying to solve when you purchased?
        • Configuration restores and change management
      • Did you consider options other than SolarWinds? Who?
        • CiscoWorks, MRTG, spreadsheets (ugh!)
      • How are you using the product and what benefits have you seen?
        • NCM backs up my gear nightly, tells me what's changed, what's not responding to snmp or ssh, and so much more!

I learned in February of 2017 of a hardware vulnerability in a good number of Cisco appliances that will impact my life.  The information below showed up in my Inbox, and my Cisco SE confirmed it. 

I was quickly and easily able to leverage NCM's Hardware Inventory Report to identify every piece of equipment that is affected, based on Cisco's affected list of serial numbers.  I know where every box is installed, and I have its configuration backed up and ready to redeploy on replacement equipment with a single click.

Thanks, NCM!

To summarize the issue:

• In late November, Cisco became aware of an issue related to a clock signal component manufactured by one supplier.     
      • Although the Cisco products with these components are currently performing normally, we expect product failures to increase over the years, beginning after the unit has been in operation for approximately 18 months. Once the component has failed, the system will stop functioning and will not boot.
      • This component is also used by other companies and is not specific to Cisco hardware only.
      • We have identified all Cisco products that have this component and worked with the supplier to quickly put a fix in place. All products shipping currently do not have this issue.
      • To support our customers and partners, Cisco will replace products that have this component for those customers with products under warranty or covered by any valid services contract dated as of November 16, 2016.
      • Cisco is taking the extraordinary step to proactively replace the devices prior to a failure taking place.

For more details, please see the field notices associated with this issue:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html#~field

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html#~faqs