11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 9:57 AM by curtisi

Cisco Catalyst switch

dschroed

I'm trying to setup logging for cisco catalyst switches.  I have the switches setup, some of the switches, the log and event manager will find and receive logs and others they won't.  On the ones that aren't working I set them to send the logs to a different syslog server and that one receives the logs just fine, when I change it back to send them to the log and event manager, they don't show up.

• Re: Cisco Catalyst switch
          curtisi

Can you run:

sho run | inc logg

On one of the switches that works and one that doesn't and compare them?

torquenut

Are you perhaps running into a license limitation?  LEM is licensed by node count, much like many of the other SolarWinds products.  I believe it will just reject additional nodes once you reach the limit.

Another thought; are the switches (or your LEM, or other syslog server) that do not work on another subnet or behind an ACL/firewall that might prevent that communication?

dschroed

I'm thinking it it because we were out of universal licenses, how can you change the license type to workstations?  All the servers running a Microsoft server OS using a universal license, can that be change to a workstation?

torquenut

I'm not certain doing so would be ethical, if possible.  If I am understanding the question, that would be circumventing the enterprise licensing for a cheaper model and taking advantage of the product's licensing levels.

I doubt it's your intention to do that (to take advantage), so I think the best advice that I can give would be to contact your SolarWinds sales representative and have a conversation about consolidating the licensing levels you have to better fit your environment.  Who knows; you might even save a some money by reaching out to the right folks!

If I've misunderstood, please let me know.  I don't want to take this thread down the wrong path.

dschroed

I was just wondering if a windows server had to be used as a universal license since those are for non workstations , so I viewed a universal license anything that doesn't run a windows OS, like switches, routers and those type of devices.

torquenut

Right on--I hope you don't think I was making an assumption.  I just wanted to be on the same page.

I'm not certain on every variable LEM uses to determine the license needed, but I would make a guess that the host OS plays a large role in that.  In short, I'm afraid there likely is not a way to license a non-workstation as such.  Sorry.