14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2017 7:59 AM by j sachs

NPM 12.1 RC Upgrade

goodzhere

This upgrade took a lot longer than the last one(s).  It was stuck on Shutting Down Services forever.  I did manually stop services during the config wizard, but it didn't seem to help.  It didn't want to stop the Solarwinds agent, but it stopped after I did it manually.  After this, I did not run into any issues and it went smooth.  I did however run into the same issue I have always had with https.  I already have a website with https enabled and I don't use the hostname for the url.  Whenever I do an upgrade, I have to go into the Websites table and delete the website with the hostname and change my url to primary.  This also happens every time I run the config wizard.  It has happened for as long as I can remember.  I love the new Perfstack feature.  I'll post whatever else I find.

• Re: NPM 12.1 RC Upgrade
          njoylif

Holy buncha logs batman...Mine is taking forever on "shutting down services" as well...started looking for logs to indicate what hung on...

from 10:34 to 10:55 I've gotten 13 -> 100M config wiz log files.... that look like:

2017-02-06 10:51:33,541 [16] DEBUG DependencyEvaluator - Invalid Walk Packages:

Orion.Interfaces, 7.1.0.43

Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.23

Orion.Interfaces.WMI, 4.1.0.19

Relations:

Orion.Interfaces, 7.1.0.43 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.23

Orion.Interfaces.WMI, 4.1.0.19 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.23

Conflicts:

Orion.Interfaces [,6.0)

Orion.Interfaces.SNMP [,3.0)

Orion.Interfaces.WMI [,3.0)

2017-02-06 10:51:33,573 [16] DEBUG DependencyEvaluator - Invalid Walk Packages:

Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.27

Relations:

Orion.Interfaces, 7.1.0.43 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.27

Orion.Interfaces.WMI, 4.1.0.19 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 2.1.0.27

Conflicts:

Orion.Interfaces [,6.0)

njoylif

I had installed NPM, NCM, and NTA RCs and ran config wizard at end (I also had selected to set up https self signed initially and the eng didn't FYI).

opened case 1116834.

for me, they killed the config wizard.

ran permissions checker and did repair.

removed all files from "%SWInstallDir%"\Orion\Packaging\*  (i.e.. "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Packaging")

then, had to "REPAIR" each component of solarwinds that is installed.

each time the config wizard tries to run, cancel out of it (except the last module/repair).

then let it run.  it will get through that part.

Something is apparently getting corrupted in that packaging directory.

michael.kent

Thanks, used this to help solve my issues.

goodzhere

I ran into the same issue again.  I was installing the new VMan RC integration module.  As soon as I got to the Configuration Wizard, it hung on Stopping services.  I had to perform these steps again to recover.  There is definitely something wrong with this 12.1 RC install cobrien

aLTeReGo

goodzhere, how long did you wait at 'Stopping Services'? Did you cancel the Configuration Wizard or did you let it complete? Lastly, how many files do you have in your 'C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Packaging\Repository' directory?

goodzhere

I waited over an hour then killed config wizard, then rebooted, then waited over another hour, then killed config wizard.  Then deleted all content in the repository, then did repair on all services (killing config wizard each time) until after the last one, I ran config wizard and it went through with no issue.   I have idea how much was in that directory before I deleted it.  This was all on 12.1 RC1.  I did 12.1RC2 today and had no issue, so maybe it is just RC2.  I did get a message that i had to stop 9 non Orion services.  That was a first.   I'm doing all other RCs on a main sever and an additional poller, so I'll know soon.

j sachs

The upgrade to 12.1 is taking forever to stop services for me as well.

I see quite a few of these messages int eh configurationwizard.log

2017-02-17 09:19:52,655 [25] DEBUG DependencyEvaluator - Invalid Walk Packages:

Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.1.5.75

Relations:

Orion.Interfaces, 7.1.0.43 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.1.5.75

Orion.Interfaces.WMI, 4.1.0.19 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.1.5.75

Conflicts:

Orion.Interfaces [,6.0)

2017-02-17 09:19:52,702 [25] DEBUG DependencyEvaluator - Invalid Walk Packages:

Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.2.0.13

Relations:

Orion.Interfaces, 7.1.0.43 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.2.0.13

Orion.Interfaces.WMI, 4.1.0.19 => Orion.Interfaces.Discovery, 1.2.0.13

Conflicts:

Orion.Interfaces [,6.0)