7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 1:09 PM by byrona

How To Build & Move to New Primary Polling Engine

byrona

I have a good size Orion environment with a Primary Polling Engine and two APE's.  I am running NPM, SAM, NCM, SRM, and IPAM in this environment.

I want to build a new Primary Polling Engine and move over to it; what is the best way to do this?

• Re: How To Build & Move to New Primary Polling Engine
          ctlswadmin

Build the new NPM box and install the exact same version of products you have. Once that's done bring your current NPM box off line, and stop all SW services on your APE's, go to the db and update your NPM server on the engines and engineproperties table, then truncate PendingNotifications, Subscriptions,SubscriptionTags. Once that's done spin up services on your APE's, and run the config wizard on your NPM. Connect to your db with the same creds.

If you have a certificate move it over to your new box, if you're browsing to your website based on IP or server name, then delete the current website from your websites table in the db. Do this before running the config wizard.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              byrona

Thanks ctlswadmin for the help on this!  I run my web services on an additional web server so that shouldn't be an issue.

Once I do this will all of the nodes that were on the original engine be automatically assigned to the new engine?

ctlswadmin

Ah, I assumed you were referring to the primary polling engine as the NPM server.

So, if you're adding a new APE. Build your engine, make sure you have the same versions for all of your products. Then you can either move elements over to your new polling engine from the sw website, or from sql. From the website set your "Group By" filter to "Polling Engine", select all of your nodes, select "More Options", and select "Change Polling Engine" and select your new engine. Or you can make the update from sql, replace the existing polling engine number with the new polling engine number.

byrona

Oh, I didn't mean to cause confusion, you original assumption was correct, I am talking about the Primary Polling Engine.  I just wanted to confirm that when I went through the process you originally laid out that the nodes that were monitored by the Primary Engine would be migrated over to the new Primary Engine.

ctlswadmin

From what I know, moving nodes to your new polling engine is going to be manual. Once your poller is online play it safe by moving the nodes within manage nodes.

robertcbrowning

Nodes are assigned to an engine by each engine's EngineID & these IDs are stored in SQL The new installation will continue to use these ID numbers to match node and engine.

In a brand new & unmolested installation, the Primary Polling Engine would be EngineID=1 and subsequent Additional Polling Engines would increment, but it's not unusual for the primary to have a higher number & the APEs assigned non-contiguous numbers. It's all down to whether the entire Windows installation was re-built before the first installation or whether some evaluations were installed. You could update SQL directly to correct the EngineID numbers or, once the new installation is running, grab a bunch of nodes and do a bulk change of engine in the Manage Node page.

And just FYI, If you've got SNMP queries limited to just a few IPs, you'll also need to swap the existing IPs to the new servers or you'll have a lot of SNMP Security updates to make.

1 of 1 people found this helpful