This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Top 5 Applications

Hi,

We would like to obtain the Top 5 Applications data via the SolarWinds API.

Note we want the actual data and not to embed the SolarWinds widget in our user interface.

Please can you assist.

pastedImage_0.png

Regards,

Andrew

• What version of NTA are you running?

• I believe we are using NTA 4.1.1

pastedImage_0.png

• The following query gives you the TOP 5 applications for the last hour last hour based on total bytes.

SELECT TOP 5 Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName, SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes, SUM(TotalPackets) AS TotalPackets

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > AddHour(-1, GETUTCDATE())

GROUP BY Flows.Node.NodeID, Flows.ApplicationId, Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

• Thanks for that.

Unfortunately when I try to run that query in SWQL Studio I get a timeout:

pastedImage_0.png

This seems to happen even when running the most basic of queries against the Orion.Netflow.Flows table.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

• The problem may be the use of the "ADDHOUR" function. See the note at the bottom of this page: NTA 4.0 Entity Model · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub

Try doing the date math using + and - fractional days instead of the functions. Like this:

WHERE Flows.ObservationTimestamp > GETUTCDATE() - 0.417

• Unfortunately that hasn't made any difference. The following query incorporating your suggestion still times out after 2 minutes:

SELECT TOP 5 Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName, SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes, SUM(TotalPackets) AS TotalPackets

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND (Flows.ObservationTimestamp > GETUTCDATE() - 0.417)

GROUP BY Flows.Node.NodeID, Flows.ApplicationId, Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

• It may be a pain but can you try putting the date as a string literal instead of GETUTCDATE()

For example,

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows 

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30 00:00:00'

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC 

WITH QUERYPLAN

Note that the should be in UTC.

• This latest query doesn't time out but still takes approx. 1 min 16 seconds to execute in SWQL Studio.

I should point out that I don't see any such delay on the dashboard where the screenshot in the original post was taken.

This sounds like some kind of performance issue perhaps? Maybe the dashboard is getting the data directly from the SQL database as opposed to via the Orion API/SWQL?

• HI,

I spoke with one of the developers and they mentioned that there is a performance issue with the Fastbit database when Timestamp is not the first condition in the where clause. Can you try changing the order of the WHERE clause to see if that makes a difference with the query performance?

• Hi Jeffrey,

I tried altering the order of the WHERE clause as suggested but it's not resolved the issue.

The following 2 queries (before and after altering the WHERE clause) are taking over 20 seconds:

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30'

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30' AND Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17)

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

This seems quite inconsistent as when I ran the top query yesterday it took 1 min 16 seconds instead of 20 seconds today?

If I alter the date (I need the last 7 days ultimately) then I encounter the timeout in SWQL Studio.