19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2017 10:14 AM by whitwa

Top 5 Applications

whitwa

Hi,

We would like to obtain the Top 5 Applications data via the SolarWinds API.

Note we want the actual data and not to embed the SolarWinds widget in our user interface.

Please can you assist.

Regards,

Andrew

• Re: Top 5 Applications
          derhally

What version of NTA are you running?

derhally

The following query gives you the TOP 5 applications for the last hour last hour based on total bytes.

SELECT TOP 5 Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName, SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes, SUM(TotalPackets) AS TotalPackets
            FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows
            WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > AddHour(-1, GETUTCDATE())
            GROUP BY Flows.Node.NodeID, Flows.ApplicationId, Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName
            ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                whitwa

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately when I try to run that query in SWQL Studio I get a timeout:

This seems to happen even when running the most basic of queries against the Orion.Netflow.Flows table.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue?

tdanner

The problem may be the use of the "ADDHOUR" function. See the note at the bottom of this page: NTA 4.0 Entity Model · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub

Try doing the date math using + and - fractional days instead of the functions. Like this:

WHERE Flows.ObservationTimestamp > GETUTCDATE() - 0.417

whitwa

Unfortunately that hasn't made any difference. The following query incorporating your suggestion still times out after 2 minutes:

SELECT TOP 5 Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName, SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes, SUM(TotalPackets) AS TotalPackets

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND (Flows.ObservationTimestamp > GETUTCDATE() - 0.417)

GROUP BY Flows.Node.NodeID, Flows.ApplicationId, Flows.Application.Name, Flows.Application.PortName

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

derhally

It may be a pain but can you try putting the date as a string literal instead of GETUTCDATE()

For example,

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows  
                            WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30 00:00:00'
                            ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC  
                            WITH QUERYPLAN

Note that the should be in UTC.

whitwa

This latest query doesn't time out but still takes approx. 1 min 16 seconds to execute in SWQL Studio.

I should point out that I don't see any such delay on the dashboard where the screenshot in the original post was taken.

This sounds like some kind of performance issue perhaps? Maybe the dashboard is getting the data directly from the SQL database as opposed to via the Orion API/SWQL?

jeffrey.kohn

HI,

I spoke with one of the developers and they mentioned that there is a performance issue with the Fastbit database when Timestamp is not the first condition in the where clause. Can you try changing the order of the WHERE clause to see if that makes a difference with the query performance?

whitwa

Hi Jeffrey,

I tried altering the order of the WHERE clause as suggested but it's not resolved the issue.

The following 2 queries (before and after altering the WHERE clause) are taking over 20 seconds:

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17) AND Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30'

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

FROM Orion.Netflow.Flows

WHERE Flows.ObservationTimeStamp > '2017-01-30' AND Flows.ProtocolID IN (6, 17)

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

This seems quite inconsistent as when I ran the top query yesterday it took 1 min 16 seconds instead of 20 seconds today?

If I alter the date (I need the last 7 days ultimately) then I encounter the timeout in SWQL Studio.

jeffrey.kohn

Give this query a try and see how it performs compared to the resource. The resource is actually using a legacy SWIS entity that uses a cryptic syntax, but this should be similar to the query that gets generated under the hood by the resource.

SELECT

AppID,

AA.Name AS ApplicationName,

TotalBytes,

TotalPackets,

TotalBytesIngress, TotalBytesEgress, TotalPacketsIngress, TotalPacketsEgress

FROM

(

SELECT TOP 5

ApplicationID AS AppID,

SUM(IngressBytes) AS TotalBytesIngress, SUM(IngressPackets) AS TotalPacketsIngress,

SUM(EgressBytes) AS TotalBytesEgress, SUM(EgressPackets) AS TotalPacketsEgress,

SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes,

SUM(TotalPackets) AS TotalPackets

FROM Orion.NetFlow.FlowsByInterface AS Flows

WHERE TimeStamp >= '2015-02-01'

GROUP BY GROUPING SETS ((AppID))

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

)

LEFT JOIN Orion.NetFlow.Applications AA ON AA.ApplicationID = AppId

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC, AppID ASC

whitwa

Thanks - but I don't see a Orion.NetFlow.FlowsByInterface table and the query won't run.

jeffrey.kohn

Sorry, FlowsByInterface was introduced in 4.2.x, I missed seeing up above that you're running an earlier version. You can just change it to Orion.Netflow.Flows. You may also need to replace the GROUPING SETS operator with regular GROUP BY AppID.

whitwa

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks but I'm still seeing the timeout error, even when running just the inner query and reducing the timestamp as follows:

SELECT TOP 5 ApplicationID AS AppID, SUM(TotalBytes) AS TotalBytes

FROM Orion.NetFlow.Flows AS Flows

WHERE TimeStamp >= '2017-01-27'

GROUP BY AppID

ORDER BY TotalBytes DESC

jeffrey.kohn

Sorry to hear it's still not working, I thought that query should have been pretty similar to what gets generated under the hood by the legacy query syntax that the resource uses. Here's the actual query the resource uses with the legacy syntax. I didn't actually test this against a 4.1.x installation but you can give it a try on your deployment

SELECT [AppID], [ApplicationName], [MapTo], [ProtocolName], [NodeID], [InterfaceID], [TotalBytes], [TotalPackets], [TotalBytesIngress], [TotalBytesEgress], [TotalPacketsIngress], [TotalPacketsEgress]

FROM

[Orion.NetFlow].[ApplicationsTop](Filter='NSF:TD:2017-01-31T14:32:00~2017-01-31T15:32:00,1,True,False;FD:Both', Limit=5, Rx=True, Tx=True, TopKey='')

whitwa

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks but I don't seem to have the Orion.NetFlow.ApplicationsTop table/object?

These are all of the Orion.NetFlow entities I can see on our system:

whitwa

Hi Jeffrey,

Do you have any further suggestions on this as we are struggling on this issue.

Regards,

Andrew

jeffrey.kohn

The last provided query should work, that's what the resource is using. If that entity is not showing as available you may need to connect to the v2 Information service (Server type "Orion (v2)" in the 'Connect to Information Service' dialog) . On my 4.2.x install ApplicationsTop is listed in the v3 SWIS schema, but I think in 4.1 it may not have been converted to v3 yet. In that case you'd have to connect to the v2 Information Service to use the query.

whitwa

Thanks Jeffrey. I can confirm that I can see the Orion.NetFlow.ApplicationsTop entity when connecting via the V2 information service.

Unfortunately the query is still performing extremely poorly or just timing out.

Running the exact query you provided takes around 56 seconds. Altering the dates to be the last 7 days (as per our requirements) results in the query timing out after 2 minutes in SWQL Studio.

How long does that query take for you or what is a realistic expectation here?

Do you have any other ideas? Could it be some sort of environmental issue? Maybe the fact we are running NTA 4.1?