9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2017 12:14 PM by tigger2

Universal Device Poller: Get "unsupported". But MIB Walker and MIB Browser can pull values?

tigger2

Setup:

- Running NPM v12.0.0 and MIB database from 11/16/2016.

- Trying to pull custom OID on a "Sierra Wireless" airlink device, OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.20542.9.1.1.1.261

Issue:

- Added device to NPM and it "took" using SNMP v2c to pull data for "standard monitoring".  When trying to create a Universal Device Poller", get "unsupported"...but other tools can pull back the data.

These "Engineers toolset" tools can browse to the device, get to the OID, and actually show the value:

- SolarWinds MIB Browser

- SolarWinds MIB Walker

These tools can walk all the way down to the OID (it can walk or recognizes the OIDs in some way), but return "unsupported"

- Universal Device Poller = Can walk to and select the OID, but the "tester" returns "The OID is not supported"

- The Orion web console, under the device management for "MIB Walker", can walk to and select the OID, but when selected it returns "UNSUPPORTED"

Question(s):

- My MIB DB isn't that old, and these devices "are not new or unusual" according to some people.  Why is there a discrepancy between the tools in being able to pull the data in some tools  but not others?

- I could update the MIB DB (it looks like I have to take an outage to do so, go though change control, etc.), and I've seen *many* posts (some over 8+ years old) talking about the MIB database and what it's roles are from old versions of NPM...but is there a way *today* to validate my MIB(s)/OID's are in the database before importing it?  The consensus seems to be that you must import the latest MIB DB into NPM, then if it creating a new device poller still doesn't work you send the OID into support (somehow...make a ticket?) ... then wait patiently?