7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2017 9:39 AM by jlaws

Migrate NPM and NTA to a new server

jlaws

Hello everyone.

I am posting here in hopes that someone might be able to help me with a migration that I have planned as I have tried support and they keep pointing me at the upgrade advisor.

I need to move my NPM 11.0.1 and NTA 3.11 from the existing Server 2003 R2 32bit server to my new 2012 R2 64bit server.  I need to keep the ip and hostname the same as alot of network gear is tied to the ip address for monitoring and I don't want to touch each device in the network to change the IP address (I did just buy NCM but have not installed it).

I have seen articles on how to keep the same hostname but I would also like to update NPM and NTA to the latest versions.  There is alot that appears I need to do and I am not sure on where to start with this.  I have the 2012 server built and ready to go.  I am just not sure on the next steps.  Is it install SQL Express then NPM and NTA? I know that NTA 4 now has some new requirements.  To be honest i would rather stay on 3.11 but I don't think I can do that (again, not sure). 

Is there someone out there that has already been through this and can perhaps offer up their experience on how to complete this migration and upgrade?

Please let me know if there is something else that you need to know.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Migrate NPM and NTA to a new server
          Malik Haider

Please see the below links . Migration is the process and depending on the many questions therefor its gradual process and required many questions to be answered accordingly .

I would recommend firstly have a look on the below links .

Everything you need to plan for a production installation upgrade or migration - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Sup…

PLAN FOR A PRODUCTION INSTALLATION / UPGRADE / MIGRATION

For NTA FlowStorage DB Migration .

Move the NTA Flow Storage Database

Change the NTA Flow Storage Database location - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

NTA Flow Storage Database requirements

Install the NTA Flow Storage Database

make list of your questions and ask one by one in this way each of your question will be address properly .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              jlaws

Thanks for the information.

I guess to start.  How should I be looking at the move of the NPM and NTA?  Can I install the same versions that I have now on the new machine then upgrade them or do I have to install the new versions on the new server and restore the database?  I am not sure if the versions that I am running will move to server 2012.

I am running NPM 11.0.1 and NTA 3.11

Malik Haider

Hello jlaws

Firstly i would strongly recommend not to use SQL Express for production server as there are certain limits applied by the MS on that.

So i am assuming you are also migrating your Orion DB to the Full Standard SQL server .

Stage # 1 Migrate DB to new SQL server

Backup of the existing Database >  Restore it to the New production SQL server  ( Done )

See Video below

Backing Up, Restoring, and Migrating Your Orion Database - Videos | SolarWinds

Stage # 2 Install Orion NPM 12.0.1

Now go to your new 2012 Server > install NPM 12.0.1 and connect to the new SQL Server where you have just migrated the database.

Stage # 3 Install FlowStorage Database

Now install NTA 4.1.2 FlowStorage DB Server

NTA Flow Storage Database requirements

Install the NTA Flow Storage Database

Stage #4 Install NTA 4.1.2 on the new 2012 server

Now install the NTA 4.1.2

So in this way your both OLD and New server will be UP and running parallel and once you will be happy and done with the production server you can migrate your licenses to new server and decommission the old server

Let me know if you have any question on this action plan 

jlaws

Thanks again.  Great information.  Unfortunately I have inherited this install and it looks like the database is running on the SQL Express version.  Does that throw a kink into the plan to migrate the database do you know?  Also, is it advisable to run the database on an existing SQL box that is housing other databases for other applications in the network?  I have a couple of SQL servers that I could use.  If not then I can look at purchasing a separate SQL install for Solarwinds.

Since I am wanting to keep the same host-name and IP address on the new server I assume that I am going to have to do all this in one step then power off the old solarwinds machine as the new machine is going to have the same name and address.

My plan then would be to first get a copy of SQL Standard.  Then backup the existing database.  Shutdown the old server.  Start up the 2012 server and install npm 12.  Restore the database to the new machine.  Install the NTA Flowstorage database then install NTA on the new 2012 server.

How does that sound?

Malik Haider

i have marked the answers underline .

Does that throw a kink into the plan to migrate the database do you know?

• Regardless what SQL server you have the migration process for the SQL database is the same what is in the video so it will work

Also, is it advisable to run the database on an existing SQL box that is housing other databases for other applications in the network? 

I have a couple of SQL servers that I could use.  If not then I can look at purchasing a separate SQL install for Solarwinds.

• You can use any existing SQL server and restore the DB backup on to the existing SQL server and  use that while running the configuration wizard .

Since I am wanting to keep the same host-name and IP address on the new server I assume that I am going to have to do all this in one step then power off the old solarwinds machine as the new machine is going to have the same name and address.

• YES That is even more perfect so just to install the latest version on the new server with the same ip / same name will less work to do .

My plan then would be to first get a copy of SQL Standard.  Then backup the existing database.  Shutdown the old server.  Start up the 2012 server and install npm 12.  Restore the database to the new machine.  Install the NTA Flowstorage database then install NTA on the new 2012 server.

• Perfect plan it will work

let me know if anything is missing there i can assist .

1 of 1 people found this helpful