This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

VMs running on a HV at a specific time

Hi,

is it possible to find out and export a list of VMs running on a specific hypervisor at a specific date/time? I get those VMs in the lower right corner through Map / Time Travel - but I don't see any way to export the result.

Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Joern

• In the lower-right box with the listed VMs, select all and then export. You'll be prompted to assign some attributes, and you can pick and choose those to your liking, then run the export job. That should give you a list of the VMs running on the host at that point in time.

• Yes, I already tried "Export" but in my case it was grayed out. And now I found out the reason: Obviously an export of a maximum of 100 objects is allowed. My hypervisor had 103 VMs - so after choosing "select all" I was not able to export it.

Does anyone know if this is a hard-coded limit?

• I don't know limit when exporting VMs. But in your case I would use Data Export report and schedule recurrence:

1) in Reporting - Data Export menu input your Search Query, add requested attributes and and Run Export:
    pastedImage_1.png

2) as soon as the report is Completed schedule recurrence of the report via Configure button. Optionally you can send results via email (Notifications tab).

Note: Cron option uses Quartz Cron (incl. seconds)

Does if fit your demands?

• Hi Milan,

the export of objects from the Map-View is really limited to 100 objects. Just select an cluster and try to export all VMs. ;-)

About your suggestion: I need the query for a specific time - and I don't think that I can include a timestamp in a normal query.

My user story is: Sometimes, when a hypervisor crashed, I need to find out which VMs were running on that host. They will be restarted on other hosts automatically so I need the historical data.

Regards

Joern

• Yes, you are right. VMAN can't get historical overview in Search module. So only way is to use Time Travel. Or eventually to write a PowerCLI script.

• I was not aware of that - strange. I can't find anything in the docs on such a limitation after a quick readthrough. chrispaap​, can you confirm export limits as jwester​ mentions above?

• Hi Milan,

PowerCLI accessing the VMAN/hyper9 API? Do you think it's possible to get historical data there?

many thanks!

Joern