This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Interface Alerts

I would like to ask, what are the interfaces alerts that you've enabled so far aside from Percent Utilization and interface stats? Thanks!

• That is a pretty broad question and the i would expect the answers given are not going to meet all your needs.

Therefore i will speak conceptually:

1. Review the Interface details pages for several of your more important and unimportant interfaces under monitoring. Look at the metrics being collected

2. Identify from these metrics if there are different threshold values for the range of interfaces you monitor, so that you can determine how you should best define these. Usually this will be in the global and interface specific (Edit Interface) thresholds areas

3. Identify how you wish to generate messaging for your alerts; email, IM, ticketing platform and who should receive the alerts for the variations you come up with above. If you are using a ticketing or alert management (not Alert Central now, but maybe OpsGenie) you will probably want to perform filtering of alerts at that layer

4. Plan out the most efficient way of creating these alerts. Try and keep the number of alerts you define to as few as possible, while also ensuring you cater for everything

Common alerts:

1. WAN (or priority 1) interface traffic % utilisation

2. Other interfaces traffic % utilisation

3. Errors/Discards

4. Interface Down (again separation may be required)

Mark Roberts

Prosperon - UK SolarWinds Partners

Installation | Consultancy | Training | Licenses

facebook_icon.jpglinkedin.pngblogger.pngtwitter-icon.jpg 

• We have alerts for specific types of errors, in addition to keeping records of utilization and such.
    We only get alerts for interface down after 4 hours -- no need to get pinged every time someone takes a server offline for patching or whatever. We'll get the notice on the server itself being down if it's something important.