4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2017 2:13 PM by byrona

Auto-Close Canceled Tickets?

byrona

I noticed that there isn't an Auto-Close option for the built-in tickets status of Canceled.  I am curious why this isn't available; what the thought process is behind a Canceled status that doesn't eventually move to close and also if there is another way to have a cleanup process that does eventually auto-close tickets in this status.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

• Re: Auto-Close Canceled Tickets?
          kellytice

I'm not sure what the logic behind not having the option to auto-close cancelled ticket is other than if they just assumed that a Closed ticket should represent something on which work was actually completed.

You can accomplish what you want (cancelled tickets get set to Closed) by creating an Action Rule  (Setup -> Processes -> Action Rules).

On the first page of the new Action Rule wizard, i would probably set the first option to Evaluate Citeria "on all ticket updates" and the second option to either "every time" or "only if criteria did not match before criteria was updated."   Then on the second tab, set the Criteria to Status Is Cancelled.    On the last tab (Actions), set the option for "Change Status" to Closed.

byrona

Thanks kellytice for the response!  Is there a way to have it so the action waits for a few days before moving it to closed?  I know it sounds silly but I am trying to support an internal process.

kellytice

No, Action Rules are not actionable based on time in a Status.

What you could do, however, is have an Action Rule move then into another Status that you have created called, for example:   UserCancelled

Then, you could have that Status configured to auto-Close after a set amount of time.   Since the tickets would (by Action Rule) move over to UserCancelled immediately upon the user clicking Cancel Ticket, they would spend almost no time in Cancelled and would instead be in UserCancelled until they auto-close.   <--  I mention this last point in terms of reporting/querying....you would never really need to query Cancelled...you could just query UserCancelled instead.