This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Where to create HTTPS or HTTP monitor?

Ok, here is perhaps a silly question. Where do you create the HTTP/HTTPS monitor?

For example, I have machine a with SolarWinds installed, and machine b where the HTTP server is running (Linux box).

Both machines are in nodes and monitored for uptime using ICMP.

Now, when creating the monitor, would I place it under machine a or machine b and why?

My guess is it should be created on node b, thus if the HTTP server is not responding, the node is in alarm.

Thank you.

• I'd like some clarity on this as well.  The documentation isn't clear how the HTTP/HTTPS component monitors work.  When I create an HTTPS component monitor and assign it to a node, WHERE does the HTTPS call happen, on the poller or on the node it is assigned?

So for example, if I have 50 web servers being monitored in my infrastructure, all handling a different website, do I create:

1. one SAM component monitor with 50 HTTPS checks and assign that to my poller, or,
    2. one SAM component monitor with a single HTTPS check, and assign on each individual node, then modify the check to call the particular website that the node is hosting, or,
    3. 50 SAM component monitor templates, each having a single configured site and then 1 for 1 assignment to the nodes

I also realize that the complexity with this check will vary greatly depending how I would configure the site to check, specifying either the node IP or a DNS name.  If we are using vanity URLs, it adds to the complexity.

Here is my guess...an HTTP/S monitor is executed from the poller against the configuration that is assigned in the URL setting, using the IP of the target node/port (as a default) injecting the Host Header once the IP connection is established.  Putting a vanity URL into the URL setting will trigger a DNS call and then report on up/down based on the returned IP from DNS and not necessarily the node itself.

So, if I am going to use DNS names for the URL and not IPs, I don't need to assign them to any particular node because any node would report it as up (eg. if I use thwack.solarwinds.com as the URL, I can assign it to any node and expect it to pass).

How I was hoping that it worked was that assigning a HTTP/S component monitor to a node would then execute the HTTP/S commands from that node directly and any vanity URLs put in would resolve based on the location of the target node and not the poller.  In this scenario, if we have any HOSTS entries (or the DNS on the target machine is different than the poller) configured on the target node, the DNS would resolve based on those records and not based on the DNS records from the poller.