This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Nodes with Interfaces that are unknown

Hello Thwack!

I was going over my nodes and have found a bunch where under Traffic & Percent Utilization of Each Interface the status says UNKNOWN.  I tried repolling and rediscovering node and that does not restore it.  I started removing the nodes out of Orion and adding them back and it has worked but I am hoping there is some other way to do this.  Thanks!

• How were these nodes added? Through some script (if so, please give details), the Add Node wizard? Scheduled discovery? If they were added through the user interface, you may be best off just opening a support ticket.

• Cool. I will do that.  I know support takes awhile to respond so I figured I would try here first.

• I have a case open with development for the following:

Editing custom properties with multiple devices using different SNMPv3 strings results in applying incorrect creds to those devices.  After the incorrect creds are applied things like Ethernet and hardware start showing unknown.  When you try to poll the device it fails.  I've been dealing with this for weeks now.

• That sounds like a very annoying bug. What's the case number?

• Case # 1097173 - Editing multiple nodes changes SNMP credentials

• I've seen a sort of thing with the Orion GUI and SNMPv3.and ASA. I opened a case, and there's a bug:

• Case # 1045002 Archived - Bug Jury: "SNMPv3 does not work with ASA cluster - no interfaces visibale, yet test passes"

There are also oddities with the SNMPv3 credential table in the DB and the GUI having to do with trying to create a named credential in a Device Properties page not showing up later on the credentials list in Settings. Plus, the Device Properties page for a new device will pre-populate SNMPv3 credentials - with no named credential. Not sure

So I have been religiously adding SNMPv3 creds on the SNMPv3 Settings page. Then when adding the device, remove all default settings on Device Properties, and select the named credential.

I don't know if this info will shed light into some of the inner logic that SWIS stumbles on.

=Foonly=