This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

is Dameware Support still here?

hello,

I love Dameware, have been using it for years, even before SolarWinds bought it. It seems though, looking at these forums, that DameWare seems to be "dead" most of the questions in this forum are old and even more of them do not even have answers. am I in the right place when looking for support or is this product dead and no longer supported?

thanks

Mike

• Dameware support is still available,  If you have active Maintenance you can contact Solarwinds Support for any issues. The support not all on the forum as it was in the Dameware forum; you will have to go through your customer portal to open a ticket.

I have been a user of Dameware for over 15 years. The documentation from the early '00s for the most part still applies to the current versions of Dameware. The documentation I have placed about Dameware applies for all versions since Version 5.

• sean.martinez wrote:

Dameware support is still available,  If you have active Maintenance you can contact Solarwinds Support for any issues. The support not all on the forum as it was in the Dameware forum; you will have to go through your customer portal to open a ticket.

I have been a user of Dameware for over 15 years. The documentation from the early '00s for the most part still applies to the current versions of Dameware. The documentation I have placed about Dameware applies for all versions since Version 5.

I do have a maintenance agreement. I do have to disagree with your second part of your answer though. the documentation for earlier versions before v12 are not the same. I just watched a video from sloarwinds lab #21 and they showed how a user starts an internet session and it is not the same as in version 12. also.... I cannot find in any documentation when setting up a three server DRS deployment which machines should be domain joined besides the Central server machine

• Centralized server is a feature added in v11 to simplify license management and deployment. Over the Internet with Centralized settings was added in v12.

You are correct that the documentation does not state which server needs to be on the Domain, it can be just the Central Server, or all 3 components.

Note: The Central Server does give an option to use a Custom Domain Controller, allowing you to connect to a domain if the Central Server is not on the domain.

• The DameWare Central Server is the system that will handle the Dameware Licenses; this Server should to be on the Domain that you want your users to authenticate through.
    • The Internet Proxy is the Application that you would want to place in the DMZ. This opens the ports to the Central Server. No Domain Required, they communicate back through
    • The Mobile Gateway, which is for Android/iOS devices. Mobile Gateway uses it own authentication; does not have AD Authentication.  No Domain Required

3 Server deployment is discussed in the Server Deployment Guide, located under C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\DameWare Central Server\Docs

When running the Advanced Configuration, you can set which component to enable, and which components are on seperate servers. The wizard will request the IP/Hostname and a paring password.

When DameWare Central Server and the DameWare Internet Proxy or DameWare Mobile Gateway run on different computers, you must pair the components. Pairing components is essentially a key exchange between the DameWare Internet Proxy and the DameWare Central Server or the DameWare Mobile Gateway and the DameWare Central Server. By pairing the two components, each component is able to communicate successfully with the other. This also further secures communication between the two components.

To pair the components:

1.On the computer with the DameWare Internet Proxy of DameWare Mobile Gateway running, open the Configuration Wizard.

2.Click Next.

3.Click Advanced Configuration (Recommended for production environment).

4.Ensure the DameWare Internet Proxy or DameWare Mobile Gateway is running.

5.Click Next.

6.On the Configuration completed screen, copy the IP address or hostname, the connection port, and the pairing password.

7.On the computer with the DameWare Central Server running, open the Configuration Wizard.

8.Click Next.

9.Click Advanced Configuration (Recommended for production environment).

10.Ensure the DameWare Central Server is running.

11.Under DameWare Internet Proxy or DameWare Mobile Gateway, click Connect Network Machine.

12.Enter the IP address or hostname, the connection port, and the pairing password you copied from the Configuration Wizard on the DameWare Internet Proxy or DameWare Mobile Gateway.

13.Click Save.

14.Click Next, and then click Finish.

Note: If you move or change the location, host name, or IP address of a DameWare Server component that is paired with another component, you must pair the components again from the new location.

• I have paired all three servers but the mobile gateway does not show in the administration console and when I try to use it on my iOS phone  get a message saying that the mobile gateway is not configured for centralized mode. so I am confused as to why that is

• still cant get any help on this problem from support

• You can go to the DameWare Central Server installation directory and run the configuration wizard to make sure that the Mobile Gateway is running and configured correctly. (Don't recommend changing anything that is currently working).

Mobile Gateway documentation: http://documentation.dameware.com/dmg/v10/

Not sure if this will also be of help to you: http://documentation.dameware.com/dmg/Default_Left.htm#CSHID=dcs_connecting_to_the_server.htm

• mmenzie

This product is still very much alive and got even better.

The latest Dameware release was way back in October of 2018 and that is for version 12.1, geared towards Windows 10 display and security updates.

There were reports of vulnerabilty for Dameware Mini Remote Control last March 2019 and the security hotfix came out a month after.