This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to create a Child Ticket on an existing Ticket?

There are times when a ticket will come in asking for several things to happen, which require different technicians. I would like to 'spawn' Child tickets off of these tickets. Is there a way of doing this?

Basically, all I want to do is duplicate the ticket and give each duplicate a different Request Type and different Technician, keeping the Client, Subject, and Description the same.

• I should also mention, that I would like to keep these tickets as a group, so they are together for reference.

• I have this question too. Any resolution?

• This would be very helpful for us too.

• Yes. There are two methods to accomplish your objective. The second method is preferred when dealing with Service Requests.

The first method involves Ticket Type (Tickets > Ticket No. > Ticket Type). 

Ticket Type

1. Change the Ticket Type of the parent ticket to Problem.
    2. Create new child tickets and assign the Ticket Type of Incident.
    3. Link the Child-Incidents to the Parent-Problem with the Problem Search.

The second method involves Processes and Tasks.

Processes and Tasks

1. Create a Ticket Task (Setup > Tickets > Tasks).
    2. Create an Action Rule (Setup > Processes > Action Rules).
    3. Configure the Action Rule Info to Trigger When criteria evaluation results in a match, apply action....
    4. Configure the Criteria to match the Parent ticket.
    5. Configure the Actions to Run Task.

Finally, the entire process can be completely automated using additional Action Rules and Custom Fields.

Regards,

Isaiah Carriere
    SolarWinds Consultant
    Adeptec: SolarWinds Authorized Partner

• Problems, incidents, action rules...these processes are ridiculous.  All we need is a button that says "Create linked ticket".  Sometimes blows my mind how complicated the WHD dev team makes simple tasks.

• I believe to create a Problem ticket might not be the best way forward.

Creating metrics based on Problem tickets under ITIL processes won't reflect the correct numbers. Because of this I would be reluctant to use this way to create child tickets.

Eberhard

• Another option for creating Child tickets works backwards from the logic that most technicians would typically like to see. Instead of having a parent ticket that you can then generate child tickets from, you need to associate the child tickets to the parent.

Example: I create a ticket for a task that I run on a server, our SEIM system notices the changes on the server and creates audit logs (which turn into auto-generated tickets) that need to be addressed. I can then select the individual tickets (or bulk select/update), and in the ticket details tab of the child ticket(s) I click the Requests tab on the top-right of the page, look up the parent ticket number; then click link. Once you save/apply the child tickets will be linked in the Parent ticket.

Again, this is backward from the ideal workflow, but it is better than nothing.