This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Current process to rename a SolarWinds server

Can anyone tell me what the current steps are to rename a SolarWinds server?  I have NPM 12.0.1.  I think the last time I did a name change on the server I had to run the configuration wizard and maybe add the new server name to the websites table in the db and think there was a step to point all of the nodes to the new server name.  I can't seem to find the instructions I used last time.  Since it's been a few years since I did a rename of the server I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

thanks,

Jan

• Hello, as the hostname references are stored right in the database, from the configuration perspective renaming of the server equals to migration to the new machine. In that case you should follow these steps: Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

Not sure if you're about to migrate the main server or additional poller, however if you're going just to rename the main poller, you may skip the license deactivation and reactivation steps.

• I understand I'll need to update all references to the old name and make sure the engine id is changed.  Since I'm not installing or upgrading anything or changing the IP address, only the name, should I change the name of the server and then make the system changes?  The last time the name of the server was changed I was not involved and it broke the system pretty hard because they didn't do anything to the server after they changed the name.   it took some time before I could even get back into the system.   It may sound like a simple thing, but since I didn't do this the last time I don't want to jack up the server.

thanks,

Jan

• If you'll follow the guide Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support , this should prevent you from the most of troubles (hopefully all). Going through the guide will also save the system from changing the EngineId and the need of changing of consequent references. This guide is based on updating the old hostname to the new one. Most of the configuration logic code for most of the references simply does the lookup like "Do I exist in the table? If not, create record for me.", so if you update it in advance as stated in the written guide, the old reference record will be used and the key won't be changed. There are also covered new tables, which are now important for the platform, incl. the central Licensing store reference