This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report change in utilization over time.

I'm working on justifying Orion with our management, and one of the potential benefits I see is proactive resizing of circuits at our sites.  We have about 1400 circuits to manage, and we have no way of monitoring changes in bandwidth utilization over time.  Some sites may cease operations without anyone informing us, meaning we continue to pay for a circuit in a vacant building. Other sites may roll out a new application or roll out WiFi leading to a large increase in BW utilization.  It's not until the site complains that we know there is an issue.

Can Orion be used to generate an automated report showing any sites where utilization has changed significantly over time?  Say, the BW utilization over a 30 day period is either much higher or much lower than the previous 90 day average.  Or perhaps compared to a baseline established for all sites.

I don't need the specifics on how to do this (if it's possible) I just need to know how feasible this would be.

Thanks!

• I'm sure you can.  This is a SWQL query I made up for a dashboard here where it compares the two day average to the 30 day average and if they're more than 20% higher (ie: * 1.2 near the end), it will include that router in the report.   I filter on a Custom Property called "DeviceGroup" which must be equal to "Routers" for it to be in the report.

Takes a bit of time to generate, but seems to do a good job.  Should be able to modify it or do something similar to get what you're looking for.   Once you have the query, just structure the report around it!

SELECT N1.Caption,

(SELECT AVG(N2.ResponseTimeHistory.AvgResponseTime) AS TwoDayAverage FROM Orion.Nodes N2 WHERE (N1.Caption = N2.Caption) AND (N2.ResponseTimeHistory.DateTime > (GetDate() - 2)) ) AS Two_Day_Average,

(SELECT AVG(N30.ResponseTimeHistory.AvgResponseTime) AS ThirtyDayAverage FROM Orion.Nodes N30 WHERE (N1.Caption = N30.Caption) AND (N30.ResponseTimeHistory.DateTime > (GetDate() - 30)) ) AS Thirty_Day_Average

FROM Orion.Nodes N1

WHERE  (N1.CustomProperties.DeviceGroup = 'Routers') AND

((SELECT AVG(N2.ResponseTimeHistory.AvgResponseTime) AS TwoDayAverage FROM Orion.Nodes N2 WHERE (N1.Caption = N2.Caption) AND (N2.ResponseTimeHistory.DateTime > (GetDate() - 2)) ) > ((SELECT AVG(N2.ResponseTimeHistory.AvgResponseTime) AS ThirtyDayAverage FROM Orion.Nodes N2 WHERE (N1.Caption = N2.Caption) AND (N2.ResponseTimeHistory.DateTime > (GetDate() - 30)))) * 1.2)

GROUP BY N1.Caption

ORDER BY Two_Day_Average DESC, N1.Caption

• Thanks Craig, that's the answer I was looking for!

• Awesome, be sure to flag my answer as "correct"!  Love my Thwack points!  emoticons_happy.png