This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NCM regex help

Hello everyone,

I've been tinkering with NCM for a while now and while the regex used in the config block start/end bits works exactly as expected, sometimes the expressions used in the config search block yield unexpected results.

ex: this is the bit of configuration that has the AAA commands

pastedImage_2.png

I run the following rule against this:

pastedImage_0.png

and these are the places where according to the rule AAA_GROUP_ETSADMIN was found:

pastedImage_1.png

but as you can see from the config the line containing command 1 should not match, yet it does, whatever I do.

Could anyone explain what I'm doing wrong?

• also, if i test the rule on the exact same config, it works perfectly:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

• evilgoat​, 

It looks like the rule is finding what you are looking for.  Can you help me understand what it is you expect to see after this rule is in the 'not violated' state?

• I would start my config block at:

^aaa new-model

end my config block at:

^!

for cisco devices.

• I don't want to look at the entire config block of AAA, I want to look at specific lines of AAA, which is why I was trying to make the config be one line, specifically the ones starting with ^aaa accounting and ending with the end of line character.

I think we figured it out though, at least partially. Still can't decide if it's a bug or not but basically, a config block can't be a single line, by default NCM seems to look for the config block end at least one line below the config block start.

This also combines with the fact that when you match a regex expression on a line, that entire line gets matched.

So, for example in a configuration that looks like:

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group etsadmin

aaa accounting commands 1 default start-stop group etsadmin

aaa accounting commands 2 default start-stop group AAA_GROUP_ETSADMIN

aaa accounting commands 3 default start-stop group AAA_GROUP_ETSADMIN

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group etsadmin

there is no way for me to start the config block from the word 'exec' on the first line, even if i make the config start line be: 'exec default .*' this will match the entire line, including the 'aaa accounting' bit that is before 'exec default .*'

same way, the config block end of (\r|\n), will match the entire line it's found on, not only up to the expression.

so what I was doing in my example was looking for '*AAA_GROUP_ETSADMIN.*' in the following config blocks:

aaa accounting exec default start-stop group etsadmin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

aaa accounting commands 15 default start-stop group etsadmin

and evidently it was finding it 3 times.

now, what I would really like to know is, if there is any way to make a config block be one single line.

• I confess I'm not familiar with that query, but it looks like you've told it to search for something with "dots" in it.  But the actual lien does not have any dots.  Could that be why the query doesn't return what you expect?

pastedImage_0.png

• a dot represents any one character and a star means the previous character 0 or more times. so basically .* matches anything (even nothing) and the entire string would express 'find AAA_GROUP_ETSADMIN preceded and followed by anything'

• Thank you.

I mistakenly thought the first "dot" meant the pattern must only begin with a dot, then the asterisk indicated any character was allowed between the dot and the AAA.  And later, the search would only return results if the phrase was terminated by a dot followed by any character.

I appreciate the knowledge share.

• regex is different than wildcards, where * would be what you were thinking of, and there are even different flavours of regex where things are slightly different between them.
    Solarwinds NCM actually uses 3 flavours in 3 different places (have it noted down somewhere what these are. rules are one, device templates another but can't remember the third)

The rules bit uses Microsoft .NET regex, you can find a quick reference guide here: Regular Expression Language - Quick Reference and there are web pages where you can test out your regex expression in real time since they can get confusing.