4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2017 9:29 AM by sz-a

Create a custom package for deploying/update one single file

sz-a

Hi,

It may be a dumb question:

On client Systems we use some tools which are only one file. I have to deploy this file to the correct location (i.e. C:\toolX\toolX.exe) on each System and get a report, where it is installed this way or where it have to be installed later (i.e. if a System is only running at night)

Is there an easier way than doing the following?:

- Creating a new package with packageboot deploying a cmd.exe

- In Package Boot Editor: under Apply package:

- program Name: cmd.exe

- command line Parameters /c "xcopy C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\ToolX.exe C:\ToolX\ToolX.exe /y"

First I tried deploying the tool itself but i couldn't change the program name from toolx.exe to cmd.exe (which then uses the command line Parameters /c "xcopy C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\Install\ToolX.exe C:\ToolX\ToolX.exe /y" to copy the updates file.

For reporting I have to run an inventory over all Clients several times, targeting the mentioned file location.

• Re: Create a custom package for deploying/update one single file
          jbaits

I've made quite a few packages that don't have installers. You don't want to deploy cmd.exe. What I have done is use a filler, do nothing exe as the provided executable (for instance sleep.exe or a compiled auto-it script that only has a wait command) and do any actual actions via Package Boot.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              sz-a

Hello,

Today I tried to deploy the new Bginfo.exe (V.4.22). This failed. I did multiple things and ended up with the following (and no solution)

1. I created a AutoItv3 sleep.exe (with only a sleep(5000) - 5 seconds sleep command) --> Problem: this sleep.exe is not signed, which is warned by patchmanager.

2. I created a new package in Patchmanager:

Name: Bginfo 4.22 (fileonly-upgrade)

Prerequisite Rule Set: (any) Windows Version greater than or equal to 5.1 for Server and Workstation

Applicability Rule Set: (all) FileVersion %SYSTEMDRIVE%\PathToBgInfo\Bginfo.exe Common Path=DRIVE Comparision=LessThan Version=4.22.0.0 AND (any) Windows Version greater than or equal to 5.1 for Server and Workstation

Installed Rule Set: (all) FileVersion %SYSTEMDRIVE%\PathToBgInfo\Bginfo.exe Common Path=DRIVE Comparision=EqualTo Version=4.22.0.0 AND (any) Windows Version greater than or equal to 5.1 for Server and Workstation

(I also tried Common Path=NONE and deploy Bginfo.exe itself because it's signed)

After Publishing the package successfully to WSUS I tried to deploy the package but this ended up with:

BGInfo 4.22 (fileonly-Upgrade)

Details: Update not applicable. Unable to find the Update by ID to perform the requested operation. The update may not be applicable for the selected computer Result Code: 0x80240003

... for Download and Install Operation.

After the first try to install under Update Services/WSUS/Updates/"All Third Party Updates" I found the package as Installation not possible.

After copy the package, dexpire and decline the old on and republish the new one this isn't shown in the list.

What can I do to sucessfully deploy only one file to hundreds of Systems? (for test only one :-) )

jbaits

The fact that your compiled exe is not signed is not actually a problem. Patch Manager will throw a warning but will use unsigned executables without issue.

Why are you including the OS requirement as as a prereq, applicability, and installed rule? It should only be present as a prereq.

For the OS rules, do you have two rules? One for server and one for workstation? If so do you have them grouped with an any operator? Are you specifically excluding DCs? If not you can leave the product type blank and have a single rule.

The biggest part that you don't mention at all is having package boot enabled and a command added to do the actual file copy.

sz-a

As i can remember someone from sw-Support said you Need a bigger applicability rule which ist true or false so there have to be multiple rules. Badly I can't remember who gave that info and when.

What do you mean with packageboot and file copy? Package boot should be enabled if I want to run a packageboot script and add files to the package which should be used during the package boot script. I understand that these files are copied in Windows Software Distribution Install Folder during package "Installation".