5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2016 2:26 PM by typhoon87

Hide outdated options in custom fields

typhoon87

I am wondering if anyone knows of a way to change the options in a given custom field like multiple select or single select with multiple choices while retaining the old for legacy, reporting purposes. I don't see a way to do this.

• Re: Hide outdated options in custom fields
          elee@sbctc.edu

Typhoon,

A theory:

1. Hide the legacy Custom Field from Techs and Clients
          2. Rename the legacy Custom Field (add [Legacy] to the CF's name for clarity)
          3. Create your new Custom Field with the new values that you would like to track
          4. Profit?

You can still access the legacy CF data with the "[Legacy] Custom Field" via advanced searching or SQL.
          Not a fantastic solution...but I thought I'd offer it for food for thought! Good luck -

- Eric

• Re: Hide outdated options in custom fields
              typhoon87

While this would technically work it causes you to invalidate the entire custom field not just one or two options from a list of a multiple. It also requires more retooling as you have to ensure they have the same order number, are no newly introduced typos and if you are using any action rules to give any of the options "quasi" logic that all has to be redone and retested. There really needs to be a better way to manage the options within single and muti choice custom fields. Any possible ideas mbussey