This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Java - remove old versions AFTER the fact?

Unfortunately I rolled out Java 8u112 without using the command-line switch "/s REMOVEOUTOFDATEJRES=1".  So now I have both Java 8u102 and Java8u112 installed on 200 desktops.  Is there a way with patch manager to easily "remove out of date java versions" AFTER the fact?  Do I simply re-publish the Java 8u112 update with the command-line switch present?

• You can go to patch management (not the patch management wizard), select the update you want and in the drop down choose uninstall.  then just add all computers and voila.

Im at home here but if you need some screenshots or more clarification I can get pictures when im at work.

• Thank you for the assistance.  Yes, screenshots would be helpful. I'm not sure where "patch management" is exactly.  Also I think I already deleted the old version of Java from Patch Manager.  Do I need to re-add it before I can tell it to uninstall it?

• I think you need to publish it yes.  You dont need to approve it for anything though.

Find the update and click update management

2016-10-24_7-45-59.jpg

Then click the update name and select uninstall from the dropdown

2016-10-24_7-47-03.jpg

Then go to add computers with rules, add what you would like to uninstall on and youll be good to go.

2016-10-24_7-47-47.jpg

• Hi.  First,thank you for these instructions.  Second, I tried them for one computer just to test, and it failed.  I tried it for a different computer and it also failed.  Here is the error I received. 

patch manager remove java.png

As you can see from this image, this computer (named WIN7IE10QA5) has Java 8 Update 102 installed (as well as Java 8 Update 112).

win7ie10qa5.png

Why do you think the update isn't applicable for uninstall?

• No clue.  I honestly dont do this much, I just knew it existed as an option.  Maybe it wont do it because thats a metadata only package.  Maybe it wont do it because its detecting as the x86 for x64 version instead of the regular x86 even though they are the same package?  Maybe kellytice or someone can answer that.

When I initially cleaned up my Java installs I just did it with PSExec, a list of GUIDs, and a text file of all my PC names.  It was a huge pain in the butt though.