This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

NetPath path testing

How does NetPath test and map the paths data is taking, and how does it calculate the probability of a particular path being used? I'm mainly curious when there are a lot of possible paths - for example, I have a path I'm monitoring that is a strait shot of a bunch of hops, then it breaks out into another provider where there are 12 possible routes between XO and Midco, then from each of those 12 possibilities has three possible routes to the final destination.

So how does NetPath trace these routes? We've been having a problem with disconnects from a site and Netpath hasn't caught much, other than about 8% packet loss on one route and 4% on another. I'm guessing that data for the polls could be taking one route while traffic from the site could be taking a different route at the same time?