3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2016 12:03 PM by xtraspecialj

DPA Client Relationship Mapping

xtraspecialj

There may already be posts on Thwack talking about this, but from my quick searches I didn't find anything.  The Orion DPA module has identified 16,827 client relationships in our environment when we hit the "Find New Relationships" button...  Yikes!  Unfortunately, I can't just select all of them and add them in because I don't trust everything in there.  It seems to think that any server that communicates with a SQL server should have a relationship mapped to it.  The problem with that is that just because something talks to a SQL server doesn't mean it actually depends on that SQL server and thus I don't want to map a relationship to it. 

The biggest example I can find is that it wants to map our Orion Polling Engines and the application monitors we have assigned to our polling engines (like the Orion Server application Template, AppInsight for IIS on our Primary Polling engine, and so on) to every single database server those polling engines monitor.  DPA thinks just because Orion is monitoring the databases that we should now define a relationship between them.  That's nuts.  DPA has found almost 200 relationships just between our Primary Polling engine and various databases.  Our 7 other polling engines each have between 50 and 100 found relationships showing in DPA. 

My two biggest problems are thus:

- With 16,827 relationships found, it's not like I can just spend a few minutes browsing through the list and selecting the actual relationships we want to monitor.  There is just way too many of them.  How am I supposed to make sense of this?

- There is no way to ignore a relationship so that it no longer shows up in the list.  If I could at least filter out the relationships I will never want to see, I could maybe get this list down to a more reasonable size to then browse through and validate what's left. 

Does anyone have any tips on how you manage these discovered Client Relationships in DPA?  Am I missing something obvious that would make this easier?  And to any SolarWinds employees that may see this post; are there plans to make whatever algorithm that drives the "Find New Relationships" feature smarter so that it doesn't identify all of these false positives?  Just because something is talking to a database doesn't mean it depends on it and needs to be mapped.  I hope there is a better way.

• Re: DPA Client Relationship Mapping
          mandevil

We do the discovery in an automated fashion, matching up the application (client) server with the machine tab in DPA.

With that many discovered clients to map, you might want to move past that part of the integration and not define any client mappings initially.

Then you can go in and manually define the key relationships you want to see.

Don't believe there's another option at this time.

bmrad

In addition to what Rob said, we are working on an improved mapping that automatically builds the relationship with a high degree of accuracy.   For now, you will have to either choose the relationships from the suggested ones, or create the ones you want by walking through the relationship wizard.  The new integration video touches on both methods: How to Integrate DPA and Server & Application Monitor.

xtraspecialj

Ok, well, that's unfortunate for the short term because sifting through over 16,000 results is just not doable...  That's promising for the long term though. 

When you say it will build relationships with a high degree of accuracy I assume that means it isn't going to see just any traffic between an app server and a DB server and assume that the app server is using that DB Server as its personal database server?  I'd be curious to know how it is going to tell the difference?  After initially being frustrated that it didn't already know how to tell the difference between a real app/db relationship and just general traffic between the two, I started thinking how the DPA relationship mapper should be telling the difference and couldn't really think of a way for it to know.  While our Orion servers definitely talk to the most amount of database servers without using those servers as its own DB, we have a ton of other applications that communicate with DB servers that they don't actually house their data on.  How in the world can DPA tell the difference?