3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2016 3:45 PM by frgpugs

Update retrieval failed

mconyers

Hello.  I have a W2K8 R2 Standard server that has been receiving the following error when attempting to stage patches:

Object: Update retrieval failed

Description: The maximum allowed round trips to the server were exceeded

I have attempted to manually fix the WUA agent, use the Patch Manager Windows Update Agent Maintenance, and ran the staging process over 6 times without any success.  I've followed the instructions in the following link with no success:

http://www.sysax.com/ftblog/windows-ftp/exceeded-max-server-round-trips-0x80244010/

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to resolve this problem?  Thanks.

• Re: Update retrieval failed
          frgpugs

You should be able to check for updates a few times and eventually it will go through.  If you have a new PC or have a lot of updates to get it can run out of the 200k size limit, so just try to get updates a couple times.

mconyers

It is not a new PC as it has been online for more than a year and has been having problems for quite some time.  However,  It appears to be missing the last 12 or so approved patches.  It has connected many times some it definitely should have caught up by now.

frgpugs

but you have tried manually checking for updates on the server 2 or 3 times in a row without changing anything in between checks? 

One other thing that isnt totally related but will cause failures is make sure you do not have the servicing stack update from april KB3020369 or the new one from september KB3177467 approved in with the updates you are waiting on as its an exclusive update and will cause failures unless its installed on its own.

Do you have a proxy or anything else that could be causing major packet loss to that machine?