11 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2018 6:26 PM by mesverrum

NAM vs NOM -- What am I missing?

jbiggley

I usually delete SolarWinds sales emails.  Sorry.  It's the truth.  It's not that I don't want to read them it's just that I usually have my fingers on the pulse of things via Thwack and other things.  So today when I got an email entitled "Two New Enterprise-Class Solutions From SolarWinds" I hesitated before hitting that delete key.  And, wow, I'm glad I did.

NAM is Network Automation Manager (Network Automation Tool | Solarwinds )

NOM is Network Operations Manager (Network Operations Management | Solarwinds )

As far as I can tell...

NAM (Network Automation Manager - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support ) is a bulk license for NPM, NTA, VNQM, IPAM, NCM, UDT and SolarWinds HA. 

NOM (Network Operations Manager - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support ) is a bulk license for NPM, NTA, UDT and VNQM.

At first I thought this was a marketing gimmick of some sort.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think that owning NPM, IPAM, NCM, etc. is essential to a NOC, but this is the part that got me.

2016-10-14 13_15_49-Two New Enterprise-Class Solutions from SolarWinds - jbiggley@gmail.com - Gmail.png

Given that we struggle the size of our environment today that growth to "hundreds of thousands of elements" has me totally intrigued.  However I am wondering if we aren't being toyed with a little here.  If you have 6 products each monitoring 25,000 or so of either respective elements (Orion multi-module system guidelines for a SolarWinds NPM installation - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support  for deployment guidelines) then we would be monitoring "hundreds of thousands of elements".

Which Product Manager wants to field this clarification?  cobrien? aLTeReGo?