9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2016 1:29 PM by shalinz

Additional Polling Engine

shalinz

I am going to be upgrading NPM from 11.5.2 to 12.0.1 next week.  I am not able to find the Additional Polling Engine file to download from the Customer Portal.  The release Notes state to go to Settings > All Settings > Polling Engine from within the Orion Web Console.  Is this only after I have installed NPM 12.0.1?  I can't seem to find this in my current install of 11.5.2.  Any other ways to get it ahead of time?

• Re: Additional Polling Engine
          mbird

I actually just finished installing an additional polling engine and I am on NPM 12.0.1 / SAM 6.3. I originally opened a service request with SolarWinds back on 9/29, the representative kept trying to make appointments on Friday afternoons (yeah, right), and had provided me with the correct installer that still would not run on the primary server. I'd read on here that you can run multiple polling engines on the same box, but it just wasn't working out for me.

Ultimately I got sick of waiting for support and spun up a new VM which the installer worked on. If you go to the customer portal and go to your available downloads, you'll want to get the one that is listed as "(NEW) Orion Scalability Engine Installer - Usable on Additional Polling Engine, Additional Webserver and High Availability Servers for ALL Orion Products - For Orion Product versions starting September 2016 - Installs products to match your Main Poller". Punch in your primary poller's IP and throw in admin credentials and it will scan it to discover the installed products, download them, and then install them. Hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            neomatrix1217

Yes after you upgrade your main poller to 12.0.1 that option will be available to you it's small download file that you will run on the APE much easier than before.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shalinz

Thank you both for your help! That is what I was needing to know. Hopefully my upgrade will be a smooth process when I do it next week.

mbird

One thing I didn't like was the lack of load balancing. I read a bunch after I found that out and apparently at one point in time it was possible, but they have changed it up and you are going to have to manually assign nodes to the pollers you want responsible for them. Not a huge deal, and it's easy to do but watch out for "gotcha"s.

I migrated a wireless AP controller and the secondary poller just hated the thing, kept saying it was down and generating alerts for itself and for all the APs. Ended up with nearly 500 emails getting blasted out, no fun. I couldn't understand what the problem was, I made sure to keep the configuration identical to the primary, even had it on the same VLAN. I ended up migrating that node back to the primary and it *******.

edit: Reply got moderated. You can't say "s h u t  u p" in a post. 2016 is a brave new world, man. Lots to be offended by.

John Handberg

I have seen that problem here when shifting things around on our pollers.  It is almost always an SNMP problem for us.  We have some devices like some APC UPS devices not be able to list to multiple pollers in their configuration.  So when a couple were moved to balance loads, those pollers were not allowed to connect and talk to the UPS. 

If there is a list on a device, like an ACL that says what can or can't talk to the device, and if one of those is a poller that didn't make the list, SNMP communication can be blocked at the device.  That might cause alerts or fail to trigger alerts due to the lack of communication.

xtraspecialj

Do you own an Additional Polling Engine License?  If you have paid for that with SolarWinds and it isn't showing up as an available option to download in your Customer Portal you should create a Support Ticket with SolarWinds to get that fixed. 

Yes, you can now get the file directly from your main poller with the new NPM 12.0.1 (I actually wasn't aware until this thread that this feature now existed.  I used the All-In-One Installer download from the Customer Portal when upgrading my environments recently.  This new info is cool beans.), but you should still be able to get it from your Customer Portal regardless...