20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 9:21 AM by tkercher

12.0.1 Upgrade Issues

acf6276

I upgraded from NPM 12 to NPM 12.0.1 and have run into multiple issues.

The syslog services and trap services does not see the NCM or NPM node and will not start. It also is not recognizing licenses on the different modules. NCM is actually unusable as it states the evaluation period is up. We have tried deactivating licenses, re-activating, rebooting, repairing NPM and nothing works.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and how did you fix?

I would HIGHLY recommend that people hold off on the upgrade. Solarwinds said there are other customers reporting issues with the upgrade as well. They also stated they are having to send all logs and diagnostics from 12.0.1 users to the dev team and they will be the ones to contact and troubleshoot. There is no ETA on a resolution.

• Re: 12.0.1 Upgrade Issues
          kelly.ellison

We have upgraded to NPM12.0.1 and i can vouch for the bugs. Currently we can't edit any of our interfaces on on of our additional pollers and upgrade was a nightmare. We followed the Upgrade documentation and when we went to use the new package installer for the additional poller we got a core mismatch error. Called SolarWinds support there advice was to completely roll back everything on the "physical" main poller to previous version and retry the entire upgrade. The rep wouldn't even entertain any other ideas she just kept stating that we have to roll back.

orioncrack

Any updates on these issues?

Thanks

acf6276

Yes.

There are issues with the engine (NPM) with this code version. Apparently there is a work around where they can delete some files from the database.

Come to find out our server wasn't even working after the upgrade, alerts weren't being triggered and data was not being polled.

We ended up rolling back and it took me nearly a day and 3 resources from our team to stand up a new server and roll back the database.

Not sure why they aren't pulling the update... Their manager stated the reason for poor response times was due to the overwhelming tickets that have been put in on the upgrade.

BEWARE IF YOU UPGRADE

neomatrix1217

when you go into the web console and then settings and license manager what does it say?

acf6276

The licenses will sync but the engine will still not recognize them. They state that not all users will experience this.

We de-activated and re activated licenses with it not resolving the issue. The licenses will register and and sync but the engine still will not recognize them which renders the system unusable.

What does it mean that one of my comments is being moderated?

chadsikorra

This is not filling me with much confidence. I'm currently in the middle of an upgrade of all of our modules as of this morning, including to NPM 12.0.1. I guess I will see if we run into of any of this as well. We also have an additional poller and an additional web server.

bharris

I agree. I will be holding off on 12.0.1 and will just be upgrading to 12.0.

chadsikorra

Too late for me...I'm already all in! Well, I do have snapshots and DB backups if things really go sideways. It also bugs me a bit that the versioning doesn't really follow semver. A patch version is supposed to be bug fixes...not new features that introduce bugs and issues.

xtraspecialj

12.0.0 definitely has some bugs though.   One major bug that really stung us with 12.0.0 that is now fixed in 12.0.1 is custom SQL reports/tables were broken in NPM 12.0.0.  This killed us because we had several reports emailed daily that included Custom Tables with custom SWQL/SQL tables as their data source.  We had some pretty upset admins that relied on these reports.  Now that we are on 12.0.1 everything is running great.

If you think 12.0.1 is going to be a problem though then I would think you'd just want to wait on upgrading to 12.0.0 until they either hotfix the issues you read about 12.0.1 that you think will affect you, or they come out with their next version and it looks good to you, but honestly I've seen very few complaint threads about upgrading to NPM 12.0.1.  No more than any normal upgrade.  A certain percentage of people are always going to have problems simply because every environment is unique in some way.  What I look for is to see if an upgrade is universally bad based on a large amount of synonymous complaint threads, like when NPM 11.5 was initially released.  Back then you had tons and tons of complaints that were similar.  Other than the 11.5 upgrade issues I've never really seen any major global problems with new Orion versions.  They are pretty solid in general.

orioncrack

OK, so we have 3 or so customers out of 100,000+ who have had issues to share. Are the 3 users who are having issues a tiny minority?

SolarWinds just sent out the NPM 12.0.1 Swag promo deal to all customers - if they know there are issues, why would they push a lemon on us like that and offer free orange fanny packs for upgrading to 12.0.1?.

Can anyone here vouch for a SUCCESSFUL migration?

Are there any success stories out there or just gloom and doom?

Thanks!

xtraspecialj

I can...  I'd think most people could because honestly who is going to come to Thwack just to say everything went as expected?  You're really only going to get people with complaints posting on here, so it could make it look bad.  It's like how people think crime is worse than ever in the U.S. because they are constantly seeing news stories about crime when in reality crime is the lowest its ever been.  We just have more access to news than we've ever had in the past and crime stories are way more popular than other news stories.  Perception is not always reality.

Every version is going to have bugs that effect a certain subset of the user base because there is no possible way they can anticipate and program for the nearly unlimited variations in their clients' environments.  What I look for is large amounts of people all describing similar things.  Then, I consider if the problems they are having are regarding features I use and whether I think the problems they are having are related to the Orion software itself, or a common configuration within those users' networks or on their servers.  So far the issues I've seen on Thwack are quite varied and most seem related to issues with their specific environment, not any global issue with the product itself.

One example of this was us waiting to upgrade our main environment because of a bug we discovered in our other environment with NPM 12.0.0. Custom Tables with SQL/SWQL queries as their data sources just didn't work.  That was a global bug affecting all users and it was something I cared about.  So we have waited for the fix which was applied in 12.0.1.  We've installed it in our other environment and it did fix the issue and everything is running great, so we plan to upgrade our main environment this weekend.  So far the stuff I've read on Thwack about problems with NPM 12 seem to be quite varied and isolated to some users, not most/all which leads me to believe these aren't major global issues. 

acf6276

The release is still fresh and people may not be posting and the fix they mentioned to me may be the work around they are using on others. When their staff tells me they are getting a lot of calls about complaints and issues that's when I state there is an issue. Their manager also emailed me apologizing for the response times and also noted they have had a fluctuation in calls due To the release and issues related to it. I posted to warn and to see if anyone else was having issues as I could not get a resolution and was trying to find a quick fix.

as for the migration question we recently did the same and you want to make sure that when you stand up the new server the versions match. I chose to upgrade the server before migrating to 2012. That way I didn't have to run through an additional install/upgrade.

chadsikorra

Another issue I ran into post upgrade is alerts we have that are set to "Repeat this action every X minutes until the alert is acknowledged"...are not doing that. However, on one of them I just went in and modified the time for the setting, then set it back to what it was and saved the alert...now it's working.

Edit: actually...I'm not too sure that's the fix now. Still testing *sigh*

tkercher

We have upgraded to 12.0.1 and are also experiencing these issues.  However, they are more of an annoyance than actual deal-breaker for us. 

Issues we have observed:

• admin banner is showing '1 evaluation license has expired' despite the evaluation being uninstalled (which did not fix).
                                    • Trap rules are being ignored

Everything else seems to work great, and the new features outweigh the issues (for us anyway).