This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network Latency & Packet Loss Report for longer than 24 hours

Hi, I can see the Network Latency & Packet Loss report if I go to Node Details and then Vital Stats, but it shows only 24 hours max.

How can I run the same report for several days or months?

Thank you

• You have lots of inbuilt reports in Reports section, If not you can create new reports it in Manage Reports.. Its very easy!

• Here's how to get the information you want.

1.  Go to the Node Details > Vital Stats.  Find the Network Latency & Packet Loss graph, then click "Export"

pastedImage_0.png

2. In the window that opens, adjust the Time Period and Sample Interval to whatever you desire.

3.  Click Refresh.

pastedImage_1.png

• Duh emoticons_wink.png so easy if you know where to look at.

Thank you!

• I am also looking for a way to report on packet loss, it does not seem possible.  I did the same mentioned above, exporting the data in the resource to but that's not actually a report.  I need to schedule a report and have it sent to someone, and I don't want to go into every node, monkey with the resource, export the data manually, etc.  I can't believe there's not a way to report on something such as this.  I did try to use the report writer, but couldn't find anything to report packet loss.  Obviously the data series is being captured, it can be displayed as a resource.  Why can't I get a report on this metric?

• I have a question, is the

Network Latency & Packet Loss

an average??? Or is it real data?

Thanks much!
    Cheryl

• It's real data, not an average.  But it's only accurate to the frequency that you poll, and is affected by your long-term data compression & retention settings.

For example, if you were polling a router every second with your PC, and the router rebooted, you'd see immediate packet loss for the amount of time it takes the router to complete the reboot.  Let's say it's six minutes.  So you lost 360 pings.

Suppose you were also monitoring via the Engineer's Toolset Advanced Ping tool.  You might have it set to ping every ten seconds, meaning you lost 36 pings.  You've averaged your real-time data down to ten-second data, but it's still 100% accurate.

Now if you use Orion NPM's standard polling rate of 120 seconds, you wouldn't get notification of the site being down for a few minutes, and you might not get notification of it coming back up until a bit more time had passed.  You'd see the outage lasted something like four minutes instead of six--IF your polling just hit the router right before it rebooted.

Finally, if you set NPM's data retention & compression up to keep the granular data for six weeks before compressing, and retain the coarse data for two years, you'd see very different data historically when you look for it in couple of months.  It will have lost its fine detail through the compression (which saves you disk space) six weeks after the event.  And after two years you wont see it at all any more.

This is the reason I'd LOVE for SW to come out with a true Data Warehouse solution that allowed fine-grained data retention for ten years or more.  Then I could graph & report changes in bandwidth utilization over ten years and compare it to network growth and technology changes (moving to The Cloud, adding or removing server backups over a WAN, adding high-rez security video across WAN's, adding video conferencing, etc.).

• I have a legacy NPM Report Writer report that you could tweak.  The SQL is:

SELECT
        StartTime.EventTime,
        Nodes.Caption,
        Nodes.Location,
        StartTime.Message,
        DATEDIFF(Mi, StartTime.EventTime,
        (SELECT TOP 1
            EventTime
            FROM Events AS Endtime
            WHERE EndTime.EventTime > StartTime.EventTime AND EndTime.EventType = 5
                AND EndTime.NetObjectType = 'N'
                AND EndTime.NetworkNode = StartTime.NetworkNode
            ORDER BY EndTime.EventTime)) AS OutageDurationInMinutes

FROM Events StartTime INNER JOIN Nodes ON StartTime.NetworkNode = Nodes.NodeID
    WHERE (StartTime.EventType = 1) AND (StartTime.NetObjectType = 'N') AND
    eventtime between dateadd(month, -1, getdate()) and getdate()
    ORDER BY Nodes.Caption ASC

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

That's it.

There are also many reports pre-built in NPM, both in the Web GUI and in Report Writer, that you can use, or copy & edit, to accomplish your goals.  I run reports for them frequently:

pastedImage_4.png

Also, I've taken one of those and added different timing & details, and it's easy to tweak & tune for any time period you'd like.  Just modify the 24-Hours to whatever period you need, and filter on the node(s) you want.  Here it is in Report Writer:

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_7.png

pastedImage_8.png

pastedImage_9.png

pastedImage_10.png