12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2016 5:06 AM by shaun_9999

Stupid-friendly guide.

shaun_9999

Good morning/afternoon everyone.

I am wondering if there is a stupid-friendly guide that show you (rather than very briefly, or in a very detailed view) on how to install, setup and config LEM?  My company used to have LEM, but never used it, so the licence has run out, which means that SolarWinds won't assist me in this incident.

I have read both the quick setup guide and the detailed setup guide and am a little lost.  I have setup my reporting server, but the thing I can't get my head how you are meant to install the reporting agent on the node(s) you want to monitor.

Also, the guide says to connect to your reporting server via a web browser, which I have tried.  But it won't connect via the DNS of the server. but will via the ip address.

I'm not sure, it would be lovely if someone could assist me on this.

Regards.

• Re: Stupid-friendly guide.
          jhynds

Hi Shaun,

Have you seen the LEM Evaluation Guide - sounds like it could be what you're looking for. Lots of useful videos on the LEM Youtube Channel too.

With regards to LEM Reports - you have to install the LEM Reports application on a Windows server & you can then add your LEM Manager (i.e. the IP address of your LEM VM) as a data source in LEM Reports. There is a KB available here.

When it comes to the agents - you need to install the LEM agent on each machine you wish to collect logs from. I think you may be getting mixed up between the LEM Reports & the LEM agent.

Hope that clears things up for you - any more questions just shout

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              shaun_9999

So, I have deployed the OVA (the 1st part) configured the server.  Then ran the LEM reports agent on my solarwinds server, configured that to see my LEM reporting server (which finally worked after not having special fingers and typing in the wrong IP address)

But then it states that I would need to connect to my reporting server via browser (which I do) and get a page cannot be displayed.

I'm actually unsure where to get the LEM agent from.  I guess that I would pull it from the LEM reporting server and it would deploy it on the servers you request.  The thing is that the technical documentation doesn't include that.

I have checked firewall settings (ports are open) firewall on the server is turned off, I can ping the LEM reporting server.

Thank you for your assistance btw.

jhynds

Hi Shaun,

So you've configured the IP address etc on the LEM VM (deployed via the template). Can you access the LEM web console from a web browser, using the IP address you set on the VM?

There is no LEM Reports agent - it's an exe you install on a Windows Server. When you say LEM Reporting Server - are you reffering to the LEM Manager? (i.e. the VM that was deployed via the OWA?)

The latest LEM agents can be downloaded from here, but these are for LEM v6.3.1. Do you know which version you have deployed?

shaun_9999

So, in response to your questions, they are as follows:

Can I access the LEM console from a web browser: No.  It is configured correctly (incase I have gone stupid, I had networks briefly check it).  I can ping it.  I can't SSH into it (even though SSH is turned on the vm)  I can also ping from the LEM server.  I can't connect to it on a web browser on the solarwinds server (which has access to almost everything)

So I call it the LEM reporting server.  But yes: it's the OVA you execute in Vsphere or hyper-v.  I have deployed 6.3.1, the latest version.

shaun_9999

Maybe as a feature, it might be worth adding ALL of the applications that are required to get it running...

shaun_9999

So having managed to get the reporting server working, I was trying to run a report that could give me basic information (users log off/log on) while running the report I came into this issue (see screenshot) having a search it tells me that the install was corrupt, so I install it once again and then try to run the report with the same results.

I can ping the server via the reporting tool.  But cannot get it actually displaying reports.

Any suggestions.

shaun_9999

error code.png

Update - I now have that working again.  I wonder if it's password length and complexity.  I made a new account with a simple password and then ran the report. for some reason it just works.  I need to mess around with the password complexity to try to have it simple enough to be secure.